Anyone use Clay bars to polish cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
    Yea thats what it looks like, car is from Japan but we bought it new (showroom new). I couldn't say where we picked it up from since we havent washed it in a few months. Its not in the front (as if we drove through it, looks like it fell from somewhere) Its almost all off now but dang it was tough.

Arms are gonna be sore for sure.
    Ill wash and wax tomorrow

Comment

I'm not completely sure what the facts are here, but if I bought a brand new car that came home like that, I'd be having a conversation with the dealership.

Comment

Thats what im talkin about, it aint rust (car is a 2015) or dust. I live in laporte so it could be sompin from the plants. Its some tough schlit though!

Its definitely from the Plants. Sometimes I get a oily residue on my car that makes night driving visibility terrible. Look around at night and there are quiet a few people Ive seen that have car covers on all there cars at night.

Comment

There is actually a spray that you can get .After you wash the car you can spray it down and watch it dissolve the rusted metals. You will see a purple color start to run down your car if it is imbedded metal/rust. Then clay bar it and you will get a better finish and prevent scratches from the metals being removed.

Comment

It's just dried tree sap. Even if you don't park under a tree, that's what it is.

And yes, the claybar is a fabulous tool for removing that and all the other impurities from your car's finish. I claybar our vehicles once or twice a year and then wax well afterwards.

Folks never believe our vehicles are 12 years old. They still look great.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
              I'm not completely sure what the facts are here, but if I bought a brand new car that came home like that, I'd be having a conversation with the dealership.
              The car was bought last year (new). Trust me the Lexus dealership will NOT let a car like this leave their lot neither would i accept it like that. For close to a 70k car id expect a little more lol. You can run your hands on it and feel whatever it is on it.

Feels like sand paper, after the claybar it feels like glass and back to its original shine. Its not in the grill or rear views so we didnt drive into it, its mostly on top as if it fell.

Comment

Clay bar or Oxalic acid. Before most new cars arrived at the dealership covered in plastic film, one of the steps done was wash it with oxalic acid before putting it on the lot to remove exactly what you are talking about. Industrial fallout is what it was called back then. The clay bar method came along later and works better in my opinion. use the clay bar on my motorcycle yearly before a wax job. just remember to knead the clay regularly during the process.

Comment

I've used clay bars and something I think I prefer...it's called Nanoskin. Way easier to work with and can be reused multiple times.

Comment

Does the car sit under or near crepe myrtle trees on sunny days? That is what it looks like to me. The fine mist that they spew constantly when the sun is shining on them. Hate those trees.

Comment

WD40 can be your friend. Especially to remove road tar.

Comment

What your seeing is more than likely rust from brake dust. This comes from your car and other cars and it settles into the clear coat. I have a white truck and I just experienced the same thing except mine was from parking in front of the bay doors of my fabrication shop. Metal dust will settle on your car and bond to your clear coat then start to rust. I used a product called Car Pro Iron X. It worked flawlessly on my truck and I had much more damage than yours. Clay bars simply remove the iron that is protruding above the clear coat. This product dissolves the metal then you wax your car. Here is the link

Comment

You should have spent the hundy. How many hours do you have in it to this point?

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                            You should have spent the hundy. How many hours do you have in it to this point?
                            Man i hear ya. Im like 4 hrs in, i still need the right sides and the trunk. Wife is about to take the kids to school so now i have to rewash it when she gets back and get back after it.

I wanted to show my wife that you cant just throw $ at the problem and have to do things yourself. (Kinda back fired) but im stubborn lol.

Also gotta take our BMC to the vet to get spayed so its gonna be a long day.

Comment

I understand that logic well. But I always tell her I enjoy it, I needed the exercise, and we have a little more money now to go on a vacation or make up some other bs she may buy.

Comment

Its not in the grill or rear views so we didnt drive into it, its mostly on top as if it fell.

As someone else just mentioned, it's the trees you're parking under. Crepe myrtles are notorious for this. It's not actually the tree, but tiny aphids on the bark. The spots on your car are their pee. Other trees have similar problems.

People like to park in the shade, thinking they're protecting their paint. Often, this is what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X