Nilgai Prep-Ebike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai Prep-Ebike

I drew the archery Nilgai hunt next month in Bahia Grande and after some thought I decided I wanted an ebike. I also did a CO elk trip in October and I think an ebike would be helpful in future backcountry trips for elk. I didn’t want to spend the money on a new ebike so I ordered the Bafang mid mount ultra kit with 1000 watts and a 52v battery. Here’s my set up. I had a $200 gift card so I splurged on the Quietkat trailer. I really am liking it.

Motor install was easy. Im going to fab a little brace for the motor. It moves just a little on acceleration. Top speed is a little over 30 mph and hits that easily. I went 6 miles with no pedal assist and only burned about 15-20% of the battery.

I used a 1999 specialized FSR that I bought new when I was in high school. I got new tires (front not shown in the pic) that are .5” wider. I added Tannus armoir to the tires which is a foam insert between the rubber tire and tube.

Weakest point is the brakes. I’ll probably upgrade to at least a front disc brake.

I still need grips and a comfortable seat. Mount the front tire. Otherwise I think it’s ready to go. I may try to buy a solar charger for the battery to charge while I’m hunting during the day.
    Attached Files

I’ll probably wrap the frame in camo tape before the trip as well

Comment

That’s pretty slick.

How much did that set up cost? New E-bikes ain’t cheap.

Comment

That looks great. I've thought of doing the same thing to an old Specialized Rock Hopper sitting in the garage. What does the battery weigh, and do you notice the weight with it mounted that high? I'm curious about the life of the drivetrain with that torque. Keep us updated. Good luck on the Nilgai.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          That’s pretty slick.

How much did that set up cost? New E-bikes ain’t cheap.
          I'm interested in this question as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
            I'm interested in this question as well.
            ?? Cost of the set up and where did you order it from?

Comment

Very cool. I bought one off Craigslist that a guy built. 1500w rear hub motor with a 52v 25 aH battery. A lot of other bells and whistles. It started life as a 7-speed fat tire bike. I now use it at the lease but it was originally bought for Laguna Atascosa… but ended up not using. Hopefully next year if I get drawn again!

I, too, am curious about your build costs. Is that a 14 aH battery??

Comment

Got it as a package off Amazon from greenergia (seller). I was worried because of a delayed delivery date was predicted but it shipped immediately. Purchased Dec 30 arrived Jan 7. It saiid it wouldn’t get here until 3-4 weeks later and possibly into Feb.

In any case, Amazon had a deal where there was a % off the package ($105) plus they were doing $150 off if you do a Amazon visa which was 0% interest over 18 months on the purchase. Don’t believe there was much of a fee but it didn’t cost more than what I got discounted.

So OTD I paid $1220. I spent another $70 on the seat rack. ~$100 for the Tannus armour. $80 a tire. I also had to buy a couple tools but that was <$20. Trailer was $359 from basspro. Still much cheaper than a new ebike and I know the quietkats I saw had Bafang motors on them. I’m not sure of other brands but I’ll take that savings any day.

Yes the aH sucks on the battery but it is as the most that was offered. If necessary, I may figure out another option down the road. I don’t know exactly what the battery weighs. I cant tell that it’s on the bike. I mean, I weigh 210 lbs myself so whatever it is, isn’t much. The battery + motor do add quite a bit to the bike itself obviously but it’s nothing to put it into the bed of my f250.

The 52v will definitely add stress to the motor but oh well. To reduce some stress, I start out in 1st speed and starting off in one of the higher gears (5-9) should help as well
                Last edited by landman650; 01-19-2022, 03:14 AM.

Comment

The bike is very nice but that rig in the background is very cool!

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                    The bike is very nice but that rig in the background is very cool!
                    Thanks. It’s my JDM HZJ73 Land Cruiser with a 1HDT turbo diesel swapped into it. Fun lil rig especially with the top off

Comment

Thanks for the update. I hope it works out well for you on your hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by landman650 View Post
                        Thanks. It’s my JDM HZJ73 Land Cruiser with a 1HDT turbo diesel swapped into it. Fun lil rig especially with the top off
                        I was about to point out the same thing. I love the landcruiser. That thing looks awesome. Do you have more pictures of it? Would love to see it with the top off as well!...That feels creepy saying that :-)

A friend of mine was saying that those were never sold in the US. So what's the history on it?

Comment

Half the things I look at, I wonder what it looks like topless��

More on my instagram account @b2ricks2. He’s correct, the 70-series were never sold here brand new. There’s a 25 year import ban in America and since these only began being built in the mid 80s, they’ve only been legal in America for 10 years or so. I can’t even keep track of all of the 70 series variants and nomenclatures. Basically in the 80s, Toyota split their line of land cruisers between wagon and heavy duty. The 70s were part of the HD and the wagons started off with the 60 series. I’d say they started off with the 55 but I don’t know to much about them cause I always thought they were ugly. Mines a 1990 HZJ73 and came with a 1HZ 6 cyl Diesel engine. I imprted a 1HDT from
                          Belgium which is a turbo version of the 1Hz and installed it in 2020.

I’ve had this one for 2.5 years. I had a BJ70 which is a short wheel based 70 series.

Comment

Didn’t think you could use more than 750w on nwr land.

Comment

Working...
                            X