Drawn for Caprock Canyon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
    That’s an excellent state park, we really enjoyed our visit there last year.
    Only saw the buffalo/ bison in the park- but obviously there is wildlife there if they are hosting a hunt.

Here’s some pics to give those who haven’t been an idea of some of the scenery at the SP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the great pics DaveC, this part of Texas is awesome.

Comment

Really looking forward to the hunt. Having been on it once before, I hope to go in with more knowledge this time, and maybe get a different unit to hunt. Mine last time was a big compartment, but really thick and hard to see a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
        Really looking forward to the hunt. Having been on it once before, I hope to go in with more knowledge this time, and maybe get a different unit to hunt. Mine last time was a big compartment, but really thick and hard to see a lot.
        Good luck, you will be in awesome country, take lots of pics.

Comment

Wouldn’t it be cool if they opened up the park to bison hunts? Even if it was just one per year on a big-time Texas hunt or something. Good luck, OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
            Good luck man!!

Comment

Got all my info in the mail. Seems now they don't do the group orientation, you get your paperwork signed and then go hunt. I am camping this time up there so looking forward to that. Ironically, i got drawn the same compartment that I had last time...

Comment

Getting close

Comment

Starts tomorrow morning.... Guess I need to pack...

Comment

Following and good luck!

Comment

Hunt was pretty much a bust. First afternoon got out and glassed several of the smaller canyons off the main one. No aoudad seen, but did see a good number of mule deer including one 150" buck that I got within about 30 yards of. That evening and into the following day the winds were absolutely horrible. Sustained at 50mph with gust to 60mph. Dust got bad as well. I ended up calling it quits about 1:00pm on the second day. I was already having to leave on Thursday mid day due to work, but can't hunt in those conditions. Having the bison free roaming the whole park now was different as I came in contact with several on the trails. Not too bad, but will definitely get your attention with a big bull 40' away from you in thick cover....

Comment

Working...
                      X