Iron Will’s issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
    I shot a mature Nilgai cow last week with 150 grain wide solids. I like the wides but feel like the standard heads are a little too small for my taste. Full passthrough and stuck in a mesquite tree 10 yards behind it. I was hunting from the ground and shot it halfway up the chest so there was very little blood the first 50 yards and then a lot of blood after that once the chest cavity filled up. She went 90 yards total.

I’ve shot 2 nilgai with QAD exodus that I never found. One I tracked 3/4 of a mile before I lost any sign of it and that was an 8 yard shot w a crossbow right on the shoulder. So who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s awesome. Congrats!

Comment

I have never shot the Iron Will’s but from everything I have read and listened to on podcasts the IW’s are designed for accuracy and penetration. I have never read anything about them leaving great blood trails.

Comment

Iron Will’s issues

Love the IW wide. If little blood it’s shot placement not the head most likely. You said you sharpened them on a powered sharpener? Did you sharpen them with a worksharp? A lansky or the Staysharp will get most fixed heads nice and nasty.

To address a comment above about sharpness and ragged cuts. Politely, it’s not how bleeding works. Ragged wounds stimulate the release of thrombin which triggers the clotting response and other biological reactions to stop the blood loss. Ever cut yourself with a straight razor… bleeds forever…. More vessels severed and less clotting pathways started. “Rough” file edges will quickly fill with tissue and just stop cutting. Does it mean tons of animals haven’t been harvested that way? Nope. Does it mean it’s the best blade condition for quick clean kills? Nope. Surgeons use scalpels because clean edges when sutured back together leave smaller scars… also sharp is easier to control than dull.
        Last edited by Loneaggie; 12-04-2021, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X