No announcement yet.

Got my MRI results today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following. This describes exactly what i have gone through for over a year. Just got my MRI done yesterday. we'll see. Don't worry about the gun recoil, in the heat of the moment, you won't even feel it.
    Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
    for my right shoulder. Rotator cuff torn in 3 places. Surgery scheduled for new years eve (gotta get it done before the 1st since I already have my deductible and out of pocket met this year).
    It's been bothering me for most of the year but I've been dealing with it and had steroid shots in it that helped with the pain. I never had an MRI on it until this week.
    I've been able to bow hunt all during archery season and up until about 2 weeks ago. Then I made the mistake of lifting a 10 gal hang on feeder, full of corn of course, over my head to hang on a limb. (The downside to the steroid shot is you forget you shouldn't be doing this stuff when your pain is gone). About halfway over my head and my shoulder popped. It felt like I got shot. So I've been in pretty serious pain ever since and drawing a bow no longer possible. I've now switched back to my rifle until I have surgery. I'm not sure how the recoil is going to feel on my shoulder but I guess I'll find out when I pull the trigger! Lol.
    Dr says 6 weeks in a sling and 6 to 8 months til back to normal as long as I follow thru with all the PT. Could be longer if I don't.
    So who else has had this done and does this timeframe sound about right?
    I mean now I'm going to miss spring fishing and maybe spring Turkey season too? [emoji25]

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

i tore mine a few years ago,doc said dont move it,it will be ok, i didnt move it ended up with frozen shoulder that was worse than the tear.....if it wasnt for wacky weed i probably would have died from sleep depravation literally i had never smoked it till then... one of my sons friends came over and said try this...i hadnt slept in weeks except 30 minute intervals in the recliner,just a lil advice if your in the same boat

Comment

Are your RC tendons just partially torn or are they detached from the bone?
        I am still recovering from a full reconstruction of my left shoulder back in April due to a fall that I took in late February where I tore every RC tendon from the bone(except one, it was just a partial tear)and both of by bicep tendons were ripped from the bone.. Ended up with 7 bone anchors, 2 months in a sling, 2 months of rehab before going back to work(not long enough)and I am still rehabbing today.. Still on a 20lb lifting restriction. I had a VERY good surgeon, Dr. Robert Fullick in Houston,(just 6 cuts 1/2" each)but it will be a year minimum before I am back to normal.. My physical therapists were even impressed with his skill..
        PT is brutal but a MUST DO. You DO NOT want "frozen shoulder".. The first 2 months are the worst but it gets better.... I have worked with 5 different physical therapists and all have said that shoulder rehab is by far the worst out of ANY type of rehab, due to the many ranges of motion of the shoulder, and now I believe that. And the more extensive the surgery the worse it is..
        Good luck. I wish I could tell you that its going to be fun but its quite the opposite..

Oh and buy a very comfortable recliner if you do not have one because you will be sleeping in it for 2-3 months.. The sling makes it virtually impossible to sleep in a bed.. Take your pain killers and some even smoke weed to cope while recovering from this surgery.. I didn't but I wont lie, there were a few days I wanted to give it a try.. I have a friend in New Braunfels who stayed high for 2 solid months because of shoulder surgery.. And he is not a weed smoker.. Pain will make a man step out of his norm..
        Last edited by PondPopper; 12-02-2021, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Got my MRI results today

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
          i tore mine a few years ago,doc said dont move it,it will be ok, i didnt move it ended up with frozen shoulder that was worse than the tear.....if it wasnt for wacky weed i probably would have died from sleep depravation literally i had never smoked it till then... one of my sons friends came over and said try this...i hadnt slept in weeks except 30 minute intervals in the recliner,just a lil advice if your in the same boat

I hope you found a new doctor. That was terrible advice.

OP, what your doctor has told you was very much in line with my worst shoulder injury experience. I’ve had 3 in my lifetime. The worst was basically McGuyvered together with 5 anchors. I was 6 weeks in a sling doing nothing. For an active person that is the worst part. Time moved at a snails pace. 6 months later I received a full release as everything was healed and stable. This was in the spring time. The good news is the following year I bow hunted but was only pulling 47 lbs. I killed four deer that year including 2 very mature bucks, 200lbers. That surgery as 8 years ago and everything has been fine since. My shoulder doesn’t move on the same plane as the other but that is a big deal as it does have full range of motion.

You have a long tedious road ahead. Do not skip any of your PT regime, ever. If you don’t have a very comfortable recliner, buy one or borrow one. You will be sleeping in it for a month at least.

I hope you’re using a surgeon who is fellowship trained in shoulder repair and not a general surgeon. You have a severe injury that needs to be repaired by one of the best.

As far as PRP goes, it is expensive, not covered by most insurance and I don’t know one person who has had success with it.
          I’m glad Thisladyhunts did/is having success with it but I’m not sure that is the norm.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by rtp; 12-02-2021, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Having been through this myself i can offer some advice. 1. Get an ice therapy machine! They can be bought off Amazon. This will give you so much relief. 2. Sleep in a recliner. A power lift recliner is even better. 3. Do your therapy. Especially home therapy. 4. Take your pain meds on schedule. Do not wait until it hurts. It will hurt a lot! 5. Be patient. Thus is a long slow recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
              PRP, Platelet Rich Plasma, is one of two treatment modalities referred to as Regenerative Therapy; so named because the process uses your body’s own platelets, re-injected into the damaged joint, to generate new tissue. Regenerative therapies ONLY work on soft tissue regeneration (as opposed to hard tissue such as bones, teeth) and can address injuries related to cartilage, ligaments, muscles, and even some pain due to inflammation. No surgery. No downtime.

PRP is not always 100% effective—for example, the older you are, the older your platelets are—but I’ve experienced nothing but success for two torn meniscus’s (meniscii?), one torn ligament, one torn rotator cuff, and nerve pain due to inflammation in an elbow. All but the torn ligament are artifacts from old athletic injuries.

It is also important to note that not everyone is a candidate for PRP. Because PRP utilizes the same cells responsible for blood clotting (these cells reside in your platelets), those with ischemic heart disease and certain diseases of the blood should not pursue this form of treatment.

There is much more to this than both time and space allow. However, were I in your shoes (and I am, actually), I would at least look into this line of therapy, before agreeing to surgery because while surgery can repair damage to soft tissue (I.e. “patching” a torn ligament or “trimming” torn tissue from a damaged meniscus), it can’t help the damaged tissue heal itself.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to PM me if you’re interested in more information. Note: I am not a medical professional. Simply a well-informed “nerdy science girl” whose dance card seems to be filled more with doctors appointments than dance partners these days.

Just make sure they are pulling from marrow and are using amniotic tissue injections to mix with.

Let's just say I've had close to 10 infections here state side. It's not a miracle cure but it works unbelievably well at shorting recovery time, and knocking out inflammation.

If a doctor tried to give me a cortisone shot Id walk out if it's joint based, been there done that, present science is much better then that poisoned cartilage killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                Just make sure they are pulling from marrow and are using amniotic tissue injections to mix with.

Let's just say I've had close to 10 infections here state side. It's not a miracle cure but it works unbelievably well at shorting recovery time, and knocking out inflammation.

If a doctor tried to give me a cortisone shot Id walk out if it's joint based, been there done that, present science is much better then that poisoned cartilage killer.

I haven’t tried stem cell treatment yet, either from bone marrow or cord blood, because, so far, platelets have worked well for me. Both are more involved and more expensive—and none of this (including PRP) is covered by insurance. But, who knows? Maybe one day.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjohntex View Post
                  Having been through this myself i can offer some advice. 1. Get an ice therapy machine! They can be bought off Amazon. This will give you so much relief. 2. Sleep in a recliner. A power lift recliner is even better. 3. Do your therapy. Especially home therapy. 4. Take your pain meds on schedule. Do not wait until it hurts. It will hurt a lot! 5. Be patient. Thus is a long slow recovery.
                  My best friend said that that that Ice Therapy machine became his best friend >>.

Comment

I haven’t tried stem cell treatment yet, either from bone marrow or cord blood, because, so far, platelets have worked well for me. Both are more involved and more expensive—and none of this (including PRP) is covered by insurance. But, who knows? Maybe one day.
                    For stem, BCBS and VA cover them now. With that said almost all insurances cover it with surgery, but solely as a stand-alone(like discagram) see the above.

When you start breaking down what's spun out, exosomes are basically the building blocks for platelets, stem is just a much higher concentration.

Both are good. PRP use is less invasive them STEM.

Comment

Torn left cuff and labrum here.
                      5 titanium anchors.
                      Same as you, repaired over Christmas break.
                      With arm in a sling, had a terrible fall backwards on day 5, landing on that shoulder.

I can’t say the extent of the fall had on my recovery, but it dang sure didn’t help.

Literally…I could not sleep.
                      And if you can’t sleep, you can’t heal.
                      Soon as my shoulder touched the mattress, was like a volume dial going from 1 to 10.
                      Slept sitting up (Indian style), with chin resting on a rolled up sleeping bag in my lap.

Cortisone shot at week 8 got me over the hump, started sleeping and healing followed.
                      I felt right about a year and a half later, got a great anchor and it feels close to 100%.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                        My best friend said that that that Ice Therapy machine became his best friend >>.
                        Yelp, Rent a game ready its unbelievable. I wish I had them in college.

Comment

Wait a minute! Before you pull the trigger on surgery, has your doctor discussed the possibility of PRP therapy with you? I recently learned that my years of shoulder pain is due to multiple tears in my rotator cuff. Since I’ve luck with PRP in both knees and a torn ligament in my foot, I eschewed both steroid injections and surgery and went straight to Regenerative therapy. It’s been about four weeks now and I’m already beginning to see improvement. And no post-surgical downtime, no physical therapy!

THIS! I tore my rotator cuff in the spring, after a few months of dealing with it I finally went to the Dr. Ended up doing stem cell injections instead of PRP. Only took two rounds of shots and now I'm building everything back up.

The long downtime is why I didn't want to do the surgery, but like others have said, it is not covered by insurance and is expensive.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ddcainjr View Post
                            THIS! I tore my rotator cuff in the spring, after a few months of dealing with it I finally went to the Dr. Ended up doing stem cell injections instead of PRP. Only took two rounds of shots and now I'm building everything back up.

The long downtime is why I didn't want to do the surgery, but like others have said, it is not covered by insurance and is expensive.

Good luck!

No way?!! You’re the first person I’ve known to use stem cells! Curious to know what the harvesting process was like. Did it require surgery wilth full anesthesia (narcotics) or just gas (I.e. Twilight).? Was it done in a surgical theater or your doc’s office? Have you had PRP as well and, if so, how would you compare outcomes?

Comment

No way?!! You’re the first person I’ve known to use stem cells! Curious to know what the harvesting process was like. Did it require surgery wilth full anesthesia (narcotics) or just gas (I.e. Twilight).? Was it done in a surgical theater or your doc’s office? Have you had PRP as well and, if so, how would you compare outcomes?
                              Joe Rogan and Mel Gibson have a very interesting discussion on this subject.. Look up the video.

Comment

Stem cells were not from me, Doc said they get it from placentas. I haven't done PRP so I can't compare. I chose stem cells over PRP because it would have taken more rounds of treatment doing PRP.

I was really surprised how quickly everything improved. Mobility of my shoulder drastically improved shortly after the 1st treatment.

It blows my mind than an insurance company with pay 10s of thousands of dollars for a surgery but won't cover much cheaper alternatives.

Comment

Working...
                                X