Sharpening Stinger Tanto Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharpening Stinger Tanto Point

Anyone have surefire way to sharpen that short little tanto tip to a razor edge? Preferrably that does not involve a using of a stone/hone free hand?

Are you opposed to one of those cardboard wheels on a table mounted grinding wheel?

I just back drag on a fine stone and leather strop. I only forward stroke on a diamond stone if super dull. I keep a hunt fine edge on my tantos by stropping on my pants leg after each practice shot and leather strop after each broadhead target practice session. Targets, alive or dead, always seem to leave boogers on the edge. Whereas, thats not what youre asking.

If I had a cardboard wheel on a grinder thats what Id use. The owner of Abowyer Broadheads suggested this with some fine grade of jewelers rouge. Several thousand revolutions goes alot faster and finer hone than hand strokes.

Good luck Mr51

Comment

Not opposed to it, but I don't have a table mounted grinder. Was thinking of trying a Lansky. Ever tried a Lansky on that little tanto?

Comment

There is brand called StaySharp they make a couple different guides that makes sharpening almost any broadhead brainless. A couple different sheets of sand paper is all you need to bring any broadhead to razor sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by TylerDale View Post
          There is brand called StaySharp they make a couple different guides that makes sharpening almost any broadhead brainless. A couple different sheets of sand paper is all you need to bring any broadhead to razor sharp.
          Used one successfully on the long edge, but on the short little tantor edge it was very difficult to get the blade set correctly in the StaySharp.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
            Not opposed to it, but I don't have a table mounted grinder. Was thinking of trying a Lansky. Ever tried a Lansky on that little tanto?
            No Sir. Some guys swear by them. I dont know that the clamps will accomodate the angle needed for the tanto. I may be wrong…its been a while since I researched them.

Comment

Elsewhere someone suggested the Rada. Tried that, got a decent edge as long as I used very light pressure. Then followed up with a strop. Sharp enough to shave with so I guess that'll do.

Comment

Originally posted by TylerDale View Post
                X2.....I use this on my Stingers and it works good for me.

Comment

I take the bleeders out and use my warthog v sharp. Works for hornets, and iron wills as well

Comment

Working...
                  X