Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Jon boat journey - Life and times, and mods, of a G3 river Jon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully, I'll get some time to start gluing this together very soon. Main subframe for removable deck. Cross braces are just to help hold it in place while I get a little aluminum glue stuck on the main bracing to the angle in the front. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210421_175251.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	24649597Click image for larger version

Name:	20210421_175313.jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	24649598Click image for larger version

Name:	20210421_175352.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	24649599

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

My new glue gun for the Miller 252 is ready to rock.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210421_182144.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	24649600

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        My new glue gun for the Miller 252 is ready to rock.[ATTACH]1047358[/ATTACH]

Nice let me know how it works, been thinking of getting one for my 252 at the shop for small quick projects.

Comment

Will do Bubba. Just need some time to do it. This one is made for this machine. Hope-n to spray arc it after getting everything tacked in place good.

Comment

Got a little cutting and welding in today. I need a little larger filler wire for the Spool-O-Matic. Sure made things a lot easier and faster.

Still gotta take it out and weld insides of all components. Then determine where the storage access doors and seat base will mount. Got a little math to do. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210425_140301.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	24649730

Comment

Been doing a little more work on the deck. Got the deck skin outside trimmed to fit inside the gunnels. And some 3/8" c-channel along the outer edge of the skin riveted in place, to keep from cutting my hands when loading or unloading the deck.
              Then cutout the step where the livewell lids fold. Livewell/bench seat makes a perfect step up on the deck.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210612_165809.jpg
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	24653905Click image for larger version

Name:	20210612_170210.jpg
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	24653906

Comment

I located the skin on the frame and then put a piece of 1/8" flat bar across the front on top of the frame angle. And sandwiched the skin slightly. Then skip welded it only on the angle/frame side. This will ensure that the front edge of the skin doesn't cut anything or one. The skin will be riveted down to the frame so that it can be removed if needed. Or replaced. The skin is .062" thick, about a 1/16".
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20210612_172223.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	24653908Click image for larger version

Name:	20210612_172214.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	24653913

Comment

I needed a couple of filler pieces since the 60" wide skin wasn't wide enough to reach the back of frame. The frame is a little wider than it is long. I've already got the pieces cut and fit. But going to wait to install. As I've got a couple more items to locate on the skin before the skin gets a final riveting to the frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210612_172243.jpg
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	24653916

Last edited by Texas Grown; 06-14-2021, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Nice progress. I bet welding in summer is fun! And it doesn't leave much time for fishing!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, it gets hot out. But thankfully, I'm only a few feet away from a door that has A/C on the other side.

Because of the heat, I can't stay out very long. I got a little to hot weekend before last. That took a little while to recover. Hence why I don't fish in the summer anymore. Once you get seriously heat sick, it's never been the same. It only gets worse and easier to get.

Comment

Besides, I've got fish to catch and critters to kill other 9 months. Heat just slows me down. And it's the only time of year I've got time for projects. It's that or work OT all summer! Thankfully OT has A/C when I do!

Comment

Wow! Very nice! Well thought out use of space and add ons. Those Welds are fantastic! Bravo!

Comment

Thank you Bruce. It takes me a little while to get anything done. Especially on these dog days of summer.

Hope all is well with you and your family.

Comment

That's a cool boat. Can't wait to see if finished.

Comment

I can't wait to see it finished too, Kevin!
                                Thanks bud!

Comment

Working...
                                X