No announcement yet.

CDL Blood Alcohol Limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The instructor I took my CHL course with, made a great statement. The BAC while carrying is 0.00% same goes with a vehicle, which is way more deadly. 0.00% enjoy a beverage. Allow someone else to drive. I know.... we have all... had a drink or 7 and drove. It does not make it right. Only makes it irresponsible

Comment

CDL Blood Alcohol Limit

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        It's hard for some to stay on topic without throwing in their holier than thou...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
          It's hard for some to stay on topic without throwing in their holier than thou...
          Sure let's you know who you would invite to a deer camp huh

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

Dam sure wouldn’t be Pat Miller

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
              Dam sure wouldn’t be Pat Miller
              Fo sho!

Comment

As a result of this thread I now have links to both Texas Law, Federal Law and I go directly from a Harris County Officer is Commercial Enforcement and they all agree but are all in opposition to the way I understand tvc183’s answer which I find odd.

Comment

.04% is still the number.

I had a driver that was stopped in his CMV and tested less than that. He was placed out of service. He was cited but I can't remember the exact charge, he did not lose his license.

Comment

Yep...

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                      As a result of this thread I now have links to both Texas Law, Federal Law and I go directly from a Harris County Officer is Commercial Enforcement and they all agree but are all in opposition to the way I understand tvc183’s answer which I find odd.
                      CMV officers are certified to take different actions than other police officers, many of which are civil and not criminal. As a police officer I cannot stop anyone without at least reasonable suspicion. A commercial vehicle officer can stop a commercial vehicle without any cause needed. It does not involve the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution which it would for me. That is because when you accept a commercial motor vehicle license, you have consented to being stopped without cause. (That is similar to a person with an alcohol beverage permit or licensed establishment in Texas. Once you accept such a license or permit, any police officer can search your premises including locked locations without any warrant needed. Refusing or interfering with such an inspection without a warrant, is a crime) As part of their authority a commercial vehicle officer can issue things like out of service orders that is not criminal in themselves but stop the CDL holder from lawfully driving a commercial vehicle. To gain such authority to stop vehicles without at least probable cause, commercial vehicle officers have to go to a special school and be certified.

That is the difference in dual sovereignty where both state law and federal law apply but both can be different and enforced separately. It is also the difference between civil law and criminal law. If you have a commercial vehicle license but you were not working and driving your motorcycle and get caught with a 0.04 alcohol concentration, I do not believe the state of Texas can file criminal charges on you for that reason alone. The federal government (USDOT) however can remove your privilege to operate a commercial motor vehicle across state lines.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                        CMV officers are certified to take different actions than other police officers, many of which are civil and not criminal. As a police officer I cannot stop anyone without at least reasonable suspicion. A commercial vehicle officer can stop a commercial vehicle without any cause needed. It does not involve the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution which it would for me. That is because when you accept a commercial motor vehicle license, you have consented to being stopped without cause. (That is similar to a person with an alcohol beverage permit or licensed establishment in Texas. Once you accept such a license or permit, any police officer can search your premises including locked locations without any warrant needed. Refusing or interfering with such an inspection without a warrant, is a crime) As part of their authority a commercial vehicle officer can issue things like out of service orders that is not criminal in themselves but stop the CDL holder from lawfully driving a commercial vehicle. To gain such authority to stop vehicles without at least probable cause, commercial vehicle officers have to go to a special school and be certified.

That is the difference in dual sovereignty where both state law and federal law apply but both can be different and enforced separately. It is also the difference between civil law and criminal law. If you have a commercial vehicle license but you were not working and driving your motorcycle and get caught with a 0.04 alcohol concentration, I do not believe the state of Texas can file criminal charges on you for that reason alone. The federal government (USDOT) however can remove your privilege to operate a commercial motor vehicle across state lines.
                        Our cmv guys are all certified and must have patrol experience prior to going to cmv

Comment

Our cmv guys are all certified and must have patrol experience prior to going to cmv

Yes, ours also. Basically a patrol assignment (traffic unit) with special required training.

Comment

Is it at training when they install the stick in their...nevermind.[emoji23] I love all the DOT guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dale moser View Post
                              is it at training when they install the stick in their...nevermind.[emoji23] i love all the dot guys!

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

lmao

Comment

Working...
                              X