Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purple Martin Landlords….let’s get those houses back up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purple Martin Landlords….let’s get those houses back up!

Ok guys…just a reminder to all of you PM Landlords. It’s about time to get those houses and gourds back up!

2nd year PM landlord here. Last year I purchased a cheap S&K 12 room house and pole at Tractor Supply. I closed off half the entrances making 6 larger compartments and bought 4 gourds, installing them below the house. I filled the 10 cavities with pine needles, raised the house and started my first gig looking for tenants the weekend after the ice storm here in N TX.

To be honest, I wasn’t expecting to have much if any success our inaugural year. I was told not to be disappointed if PMs just visited without nesting overnight or even if they didn’t make an appearance at all. Still, I thought I will buy and play the Dawn Song CD on a boom box every morning before leaving for work. I did this religiously for a week to 10 days. Then one evening, to my surprise, I hear that VERY distinctive sound that those of us now in the know can never mistake…my first PM scout! He liked what he saw enough to invite several friends back over the next few weeks and by mid April we were enjoying daily morning and evening entertainment. We were now successful PM Landlords!! I gave the starlings and house sparrows a good working over with a pellet rifle and a shotgun and by mid summer 8 of the 10 cavities were being occupied most nights.
    To say that I have officially become HOOKED is an understatement. The wife and I both literally became depressed when that sound left us for good in early August.

So, enter YEAR 2!
    My goal was to double our cavities but I actually tripled them. Did I say I was hooked? I purchased 2 Birds Choice metal 3-tier houses and 8 two piece Heath gourds. So we have gone from 10 to 30 total cavities. Again, I closed off half the house entrances making the compartments larger. The build is stupid heavy so I won’t embarrass myself by providing too many details but let’s just say it involves 2 3/8” heavy wall drill stem and an ugly welding job!

Anyway, I fought the cold and wind yesterday to finally get everything up in time for the self imposed Valentines Day deadline. All entrances are plugged up except for 3 of last year’s gourds in anticipation of the first scouts to arrive. I will build 2 new predator guards with netting next weekend. I used a metal baffle last year but it was a hassle and I hated it.
    Good luck to everyone this year and show us your setups.

Last edited by RascalArms; 02-13-2022, 11:34 AM.

Wow! That turned out great Joel!
    Well done!

Comment

My setup.
      I have gotten a little hooked myself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2BC7727A-C3DA-4549-801E-C878982981C0.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	24677408

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Very nice setups. I have been wanting to go this for years I need to raise it on my list.

Comment

Curious if anyone that has PM houses has a noticeable difference in mosquitos

Comment

I'd like to have some but don't care to create ongoing maintenance projects. Can you just put the houses up and let them be or is clean out mandatory?

Comment

The gourd type are the best. I have the regular kind and it is all cleaned up and ready to hoist at the end of the month. I had martins and sparrows in the same birdhouse last year. I only want martins, have looked at the gourd type and want to change out. The one I saw has a sparrow catcher so you can "get rid of" the sparrow. I think I may have opened up the box too soon last year and the sparrows took control of the house. I may wait just a bit longer or move the sparrows out if I see them getting a head start. I play a purple martin repeat loop on my remote Bose speaker to make sure they stay around. They battled the sparrows last year. I wish they stayed around longer but I enjoy them while they are here. My dad had a martin house when I was a kid so I am continuing the habit. Come on Spring!

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                  I'd like to have some but don't care to create ongoing maintenance projects. Can you just put the houses up and let them be or is clean out mandatory?
                  To do it right and have a sustainable colony year after year they really need to be cleaned at the end of the summer after they’ve left and gone back south.
                  It’s just a one time a year process. Many landlords do nest checks but the best advice I can give is just keep the snakes, varmints and other predator birds at bay. Owls and hawks (especially Cooper’s hawks) give them hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mission408 View Post
                    Curious if anyone that has PM houses has a noticeable difference in mosquitos
                    No, I think that’s an old wives’ tell that a PM will help control mosquitoes with any really effectiveness. I mean, they can and probably do eat their fair share as they will only eat flying insects and probably a spider or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                      My setup.
                      I have gotten a little hooked myself.

[ATTACH]1080582[/ATTACH]
                      Looking good Justin…I really like the S&K barns. 👍

Comment

It's like raising pigeons

Comment

I hear you.
                          Like Joel said, you should clean them out every year.
                          Took me about 20-30 minutes to clean out the 5 houses I have.

A lot easier than pigeons. No feeding or watering involved.

I have never been a bird watcher or anything like that.
                          When we bought our place almost 4 years ago, there were already 3 houses. I have since added 2 more and replaced another.
                          I really enjoy watching and listening to the Martins.

Comment

There was a PM house here when I bought this place 13 years ago. I have never done anything to it and they come back every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are these a decent option? Anything better that's not $20 a pop?

Comment

Working...
                              X