2022 Thermal and Night Vision thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022 Thermal and Night Vision thread.

Came here looking for the Thermal and Night Vision thread for the new year but y'all been slacking. 5 days in and no new thread. I guess since nobody is stepping up I will get the ball rolling. Just a quick little coyote video from last night. Got hasty and clipped him a bit low with the first shot and he did the helicopter, slinging a little blood. As soon as he paused I put the finisher on him.

16" 6.5 Grendel with Sierra 85 HP, SiCo Omega, and Thermion XQ50 from Outdoor Legacy Gear (Thermion is 1 1/2 years old and has put over 150 hogs and coyotes on the ground). As you can see Jason it has been working out great for me.

My BIL just purchased a XQ50. got to play with it this past weekend at the ranch. Now I've got to get serious about getting a thermal!!!!!!!

Comment

Trying to save some money for one, but something keeps coming up and I have to spend the money...

Post up some videos for motivation, maybe I'll sell a kidney or something and get one.... SMDH!!!

Comment

Couple of boars from last month.

Comment

Anyone got any videos using an AGM Rattle ts35,
          1. How do you like it
          2. If you can, Please post distance and other details about the video.

Thanks!

Comment

I've been considering a thermion 2 xp50 as my next thermal. For those that own one, how does the image look at night when the humidity is above 80%? Pictures?

Sent from my ASUS_I002D using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
              What optic is that?
              Never seen one with that reticle

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                What optic is that?
                Never seen one with that reticle
                That is a Thermion XQ50. I have started pretty much running red monochrome (instead of white hot/black hot) because it is easier on my old eyes when I come off the scope to stalk. Doesn't kill my night vision as bad, I can still kind of see. It doesn't give quite as much detail but it works for me.

The Pulsars have quite a few reticles to choose from in the options. Most are 2nd focal plane style reticles. However they do have several reticles in there that are what they call "scaleable" and function the same way as a first focal plane reticle. A couple of those are MIL based. The one I am using though is the X51Fi-300. It is designed to basically be used as a manual style rangefinder by fitting animals of known sizes in the brackets. Actually set up for European game, fox, roe deer, and boar. However, I did some math using a 9" body depth for a coyote and the numbers came up as 135 yards if the coyotes body fills to the bottom subtension, 200 yards for the middle, and 300 yards for the top one. It really helps me judge range since my Thermion does not have a rangefinder. I have tested those numbers of mine against a full size coyote decoy and they are pretty spot on. Over the last year of shooting coyotes in the field I trust it.

Play that first video I posted with the coyote, and pause it at 4 seconds. Even though the crosshairs are not overlaid exactly where they would be while judging distance you can see his body depth pretty much covers all 3 marks on the crosshair. He is right at 135 yards, +/-. That one happened fast and I did not have time to get a good focus, I just had to put it on him and shoot. Also notice it is the same on both the main image and PIP. Being a scaleable reticle it is true and accurate at all magnifications.
                Last edited by Jethro; 01-06-2022, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by static99899 View Post
                  I've been considering a thermion 2 xp50 as my next thermal. For those that own one, how does the image look at night when the humidity is above 80%? Pictures?

Sent from my ASUS_I002D using Tapatalk
                  Can't say about humidity, but I do know that it doesn't perform well in even light fog--

Comment

Been using a Hogster 35R as a scanner and backup scope for about a year now. It doesn't have recording but it does have video out. I remembered that I have a MDVR from back in my old digital night vision days and decided to try and see if I could record with it off the Hogster. I ordered the Pulsar Apex adaptor cable from Jason because it looked like it would work (and it did). Got it in the other day and hooked everything up. Did a quick test inside the house just to make sure I was getting a video feed and when that looked OK I walked out in the front yard to make a test video on the MDVR. I was wearing pajama pants, a T shirt, and house shoes.

Ended up getting a really cool test video when a fox came trotting down the street towards me. My house is in the city limits but my barn across the street where my daughter keeps her show goats is not. Basically the street the fox was on is the city limits. Initial sighting was around 110-120 yards, it came less than 40 from me, then angled past the goat pens and disappears out there 100+ yards again. No mag in the rifle so I just had to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                      Anyone got any videos using an AGM Rattle ts35,
                      1. How do you like it
                      2. If you can, Please post distance and other details about the video.

Thanks!
                      Look up reviews online or youtube

Comment

Cool vid Jethro, was that a red fox? Body shape looked more like a red than grey.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                          Can't say about humidity, but I do know that it doesn't perform well in even light fog--

The rain will distort the clarity of the image you have. You will be able to see there is something there but you won’t be able to focus the image. Heavy fog does the same and harder to “look” through

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                            Cool vid Jethro, was that a red fox? Body shape looked more like a red than grey.
                            I really don't know for sure. We have both here. Couple years ago was seeing reds, but now mostly seeing greys. I think it was a grey, but maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              Look up reviews online or youtube
                              Thanks, I'm hoping to hear from people who have it on here and see what they think...

Online and YouTube were the first things I looked at.

Comment

Working...
                              X