Help! Which bay dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Which bay dog

Moving onto some land from my college apt and want to get a pup to train up to bay! Any first hand expirence with breeds and training would be appreciated!
    Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by kdkulhanek; 07-29-2014, 11:07 PM.

This is a long standing debate among hoggers. Some swear by catahoulas some swear by black mouth currs and other wont run anything but hounds. My best advice is to hunt with someone else and when they have a litter of something you like get one of them.

P.S. we dont hunt but we do competition bay pens and we have an assortment of breeds, but a good hound dog is hard to beat. We have a bluetick that is one of the bayingest dogs you will ever see.

Comment

TEXAS LACY DOG! Best dog in the world! lol... BSMITH hit the nail on the head.. Just find a dog that barks and hunts the way you like it to.

P.S. I run Lacy dogs so Im a little biased..
      Last edited by cchildress; 07-30-2014, 04:08 AM.

Comment

you're gonna need about a hundred lacy dogs so you can find the five good ones.

good grief, there are a lot of mediocre ones out there right now....

Comment

I got the hook up on some good lacys if you decide to go that way

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
            you're gonna need about a hundred lacy dogs so you can find the five good ones.

good grief, there are a lot of mediocre ones out there right now....
            lacy dogs used to be decent dogs but imho they've been modified and marketed so quickly these last few years they lost some of their grit. too many people buying and breeding them as truck ornaments and status symbols.

Comment

NO on hounds

Comment

Lacy or a cur

Comment

No on hounds. You want a dog that will not open until it is looking at the hog. Normally makes for a much short run. I prefer catahoulas but have also hunted behind some good black mouth curs in my day....but if hog hunting is your deal one dog is not really enough. I use to like to take 3 finished dogs and 1 bulldog.

-john

Comment

Curs are great hunters and family pets as well

Comment

I'm a little biased toward Lacy dogs as well. When I used to hog hunt quite a bit we had 2 Lacies, a black mouth, and a bull dog. The Lacies were fantastic, but we have had trouble replacing them with anything quality recently.

Comment

Hahahaha listen to these guys about hounds !!
                        The dog opening does not make the hog run .... Been there done it a thousand times an can prove it ,
                        All you gotta do is ask a guy that has silent dogs if he ever been on a runner an if they say no they are lieing ... Now why did he run if your silent dog don't open till he sees the hog ??
                        I'm not bragging on my dogs just honest the bad with the good
                        I have ever kind of dog from curs Catahoulas terriers ,
                        Most curs that are so highly bragged on have hound in them that's where alot of the nose an bottom comes from
                        First what you have to decide is how you want to hunt ?
                        With one dog you are limited it can be done though
                        Bay an shoot them
                        Or get you a straight catch dog an you can do out that way
                        Or get 2 dogs a good strike dog an a catch dog
                        It can be done either way
                        Then next thing is what kind of terrain you are gonna hunt that will also effect the kind of dog you want to get you are not gonna want to get a dog that's been in the swamp hunting his whole life an take him to hunt is west Texas it will be a learning curve on him forsure

Next is rough or loose dog ?
                        Do you want to bay up sounders or single hogs ? Loose dogs will bay up groups is hogs
                        Rough dogs are gonna put to much pressure an will break group up

Next is finding a good dog ,
                        Don't worry about breed at all or looks get one that does the job
                        That's the hard part people will lie an tell you how good the dog is an blah blah name excuse when they don't hunt an everything under the sun when they trying to sell a dog
                        An get ready to spend 1500-2000$ on a dog worth anything

Just some truth to hog dogs need any more info let me know I'm not gonna lie or push a breed on you I get ****** off when people down a breed when they don't know jack squat about it an act like they do

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                          No on hounds. You want a dog that will not open until it is looking at the hog. Normally makes for a much short run. I prefer catahoulas but have also hunted behind some good black mouth curs in my day....but if hog hunting is your deal one dog is not really enough. I use to like to take 3 finished dogs and 1 bulldog.

-john

This. Nothing worse than a dang trail-barking dog. We run cats, curs, lacys, and a few mixtures of the 3.

Comment

Houlas are the way to go... A lot of drive

Comment

Don't look at breeds. Get a pup from dogs that do what you like. A pen dog is a world difference from a woods dog.

Comment

Working...
                              X