Active shooter in Uvalde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ttechdallas View Post
    Well by all means then, carry on. Let's sit back, do nothing, and b___ & moan about everybody and everything else every time something like this happens.

How about a little more personal responsibility, stop paying people to reproduce, stop pandering to the weak minded, and enforce the laws already on the books?

Or don’t those things make more sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well by all means then, carry on. Let's sit back, do nothing, and b___ & moan about everybody and everything else every time something like this happens.
      There are lots of things we can and should do that would make a positive difference. More gun laws just aren't on that list. A week or more lapsed after the kid in Uvalde bought his guns. A waiting period wouldn't have stopped him. The background check that he went through to purchase the guns didn't stop him. None of that works.

The only real fix is to address the root cause, which is the destruction of morality and the family. And while we're trying to rebuild that, we need to better protect the vulnerable. We also need to get serious about dealing with the mentally unstable and violent folks, rather than just looking the other way until they snap. Those are the things that would actually make a difference. More gun laws simply won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
        Y'all are right, gun control doesn't stop this. I believe in the 2A, but not everyone that has the right has the ability. Your Kid and my Kid are probably Ok at 18, but what about the kid in the skirt that doesn't know if he's a he or a she. I don't want that kid to be able to buy one. I also don't want that idiot voting, but our law says he can. What do we do about that?

And yes at 18 most are still Kids.
        I will get roasted for saying this but I do not care..
        This day and age, with the severe lack of maturity kids have these days verses when that law was written, 18 years old is not nearly old enough... Most 18 year olds nowadays are very immature mentally for various reasons.. They are a product of today's culture.. It is what it is. Hell you have to be 21 to buy a beer or a wine cooler... 18 year olds of today have no business buying guns..
        It's time to raise this age limit substantially... 21 or older.

Comment

There isn't a "single" root cause of this or other shootings. Just as there isn't a single solution that would have prevented them – past or future. But guns are a big common denominator. Just because there is no single gun regulation that would prevent all of them doesn't mean they couldn't prevent some of them.

I personally don't think an 18-year-old should be able to walk in and purchase what he did without a substantial background check and potentially even a waiting period. Provided that the background check is more than just running a name and social through a database.

I also think big technology has a stronger obligation in helping to prevent these. These companies have become near monopolies in and around social media. Using algorithms to manipulate content they want. Employing liberal, feeble minded twits to censor whatever upsets their delicate sensibilities. All while making billions of dollars in ad revenues.

Within minutes of an online search on a golf club or even a verbal discussion, they can target you with ad for Taylormade driver. Tell me how they couldn’t use the same technology to identify and report crazy talk involving the shooting or killing of people.

Is it ideal? No. But they aren’t regulated while basically becoming public utilities for all manner of social media communications and the like. They are unapologetic purveyors of misinformation and disinformation when it suits their politics. So why not hold them libel for taking zero responsibility for doing anything when a crazy person, such as this most recent shooter, uses their platform to share, plan or execute their evil intent.

Back to the gun reg side. Instead of fighting every reg no matter what, I don't understand why we can't instead be proponents of what could help prevent shootings such as what just happened.
          But you’re perfectly fine shipping that same 18 year old across the world with an m16 to fight for the freedom for you to say dumb ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            There are lots of things we can and should do that would make a positive difference. More gun laws just aren't on that list. A week or more lapsed after the kid in Uvalde bought his guns. A waiting period wouldn't have stopped him. The background check that he went through to purchase the guns didn't stop him. None of that works.

The only real fix is to address the root cause, which is the destruction of morality and the family. And while we're trying to rebuild that, we need to better protect the vulnerable. We also need to get serious about dealing with the mentally unstable and violent folks, rather than just looking the other way until they snap. Those are the things that would actually make a difference. More gun laws simply won't.
            But you are not going to fix the root cause.

A waiting period would not have stopped him, I agree. But a waiting period accompanied by a real background check might have provided law enforcement with a means of intervening beforehand.

We do have plenty of gun laws, I agree as well. Gun regs though have to be implemented in a way that they help can help law enforcement intervene before a shooting. The mental health aspect is a good example. However, look at how many people oppose any law preventing someone from purchasing a gun for any reason - mental health, age, terrorist watch list, etc.

That was point I was trying to make.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              But you’re perfectly fine shipping that same 18 year old across the world with an m16 to fight for the freedom for you to say dumb ****.
              Actually, I am not. Maybe you should put more energy into just reading or listening to what other people write or say than chomping at the bits to say even dumber ****.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                I'm not. 18 is too young.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                  I will get roasted for saying this but I do not care..
                  This day and age, with the severe lack of maturity kids have these days verses when that law was written, 18 years old is not nearly old enough... Most 18 year olds nowadays are very immature mentally for various reasons.. They are a product of today's culture.. It is what it is. Hell you have to be 21 to buy a beer or a wine cooler... 18 year olds of today have no business buying guns..
                  Depends on the kid. There are some idiots out there. The internet, social media, youtube is rotting their brains.
                  [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU"]Welcome to the Internet - Bo Burnham (from "Inside" -- ALBUM OUT NOW) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

What ?

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                    So you don't own a gun store? Your comment was "He wouldn't walk out of my Store with one". Can see my confusion.
                    Just use common sense. Never said I owned a gun store.

Comment

A waiting period would not have stopped him, I agree. But a waiting period accompanied by a real background check might have provided law enforcement with a means of intervening beforehand.

We do have plenty of gun laws, I agree as well. Gun regs though have to be implemented in a way that they help can help law enforcement intervene before a shooting. The mental health aspect is a good example. However, look at how many people oppose any law preventing someone from purchasing a gun for any reason - mental health, age, terrorist watch list, etc.

What do you say is a REAL background check? This guy did not have a record and what he put on SM was about 30 minutes before he shot his grandmother and went to the school.

You never going to stop or get rid of evil and that is the only thing this person had in his heart and soul.

Gun free zones have to go! We need to be pro active not reactive.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                        21 or even older? Maybe 30 is a nice place to draw the line? Perhaps only retirees are wise and sensible enough to bear arms? A young person would respond that it's easy for you to say old man, now that it's not your rights we're taking away. A person becomes an adult at 18, and a full, total, no-questions-asked adult at 21. The entire argument that today's 18-y/os are not 1995's or 1955's 18-y/os is classic "these kids ain't what we were." Every generation has thought and will continue to think that, hasn't gotten any truer with time.

Comment

i find it interesting that the very same people who want everyone to be safe and secure are also promoting open borders to allow anyone into their neighborhoods. by definition, they are breaking the law by entering illegally . why would they obey any other laws ?

i say , take Beto to the pen .. drop him in general population and watch what happens ..
                          no guns in there, no ar15's. i'm sure he'll be totally safe in there.

it's the gun that makes the criminal... right!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            How about a little more personal responsibility, stop paying people to reproduce, stop pandering to the weak minded, and enforce the laws already on the books?

Or don’t those things make more sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            That would be great, I agree. But how do we contribute to any of that positive change when so many on the right have become the kings of "you're an idiot, or worse, a liberal" when someone doesn't see something exactly their way?

That is not a winning strategy for changing anything. In the interim, I'm for doing whatever we reasonably can to prevent bad people from getting / using guns to do bad things. Please note "reasonably".

Comment

I believe one issue is the defintion of a background check might need to be updated. Fox was stating earlier, the shooter had no criminal history. Heck, they said he didn't even have a speeding ticket on his record. With that, they did say people that knew the shooter thought he was a loner, werido, cut his face up thinking it was funny type of guy. I'm sure he also had a presence on social media. Perhaps background checks should start probing into social media platforms using their algorithms? I don't know if I agree with that or not, however, it sure doesn't seem like a traditional criminal background check, even with a waiting period would have stopped this shooter from buying the firearms.

I also think with all the money being thrown into education, we should hold our administrators more accountable on school security. There is video of the shooter obtaining access to the school without much issue. Why the heck was that door not locked? Apparently, the shooter was also being pursued (wrecked truck ran up to the school) and he even was in a shooting altercation with a school police officer. Why the heck was the school not on lock down already? I understand things happen fast, but the administrators should be answering questions here as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JFFB View Post
                                You can bet one thing he would have never walked out of my store these guns. Legal or not.
                                Originally posted by JFFB View Post
                                Just use common sense. Never said I owned a gun store.
                                But you implied you had a store with gun in it. See my confusion.

Comment

Working...
                                X