Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the great information.

Comment

Trapper 76 gave you important information. Look at Helly Hansen Rubber Rain Gear and either HUK or Xtratuf rubber shoes. Don't go all that way and not have the gear that will keep you comfortable, as it can (and does) rain often.

I have been a few times and will tell you ....Be Prepared....once you go, you will want to return year after year

Comment

Originally posted by shwacker1911 View Post
        The nice part about Homer is you can fish right off the beach and catch halibut and a type of flounder all day long on squid
        I tried that and only caught flounder and cod. Congrats!

Comment

Good information. Thanks again. I have good rain gear and footwear for work. Hopefully everyone else who is going have taken my advice. We will definitely be bringing the fish back home. What did you take for motion sickness? I’ve never really been bothered by it but want to take something just in case…..

Comment

Originally posted by bow newby View Post
            What did you take for motion sickness? I’ve never really been bothered by it but want to take something just in case…..
            I didn't take anything and it never bothered me.......until I got off the boat and then I couldn't stand still and almost got sick.

Comment

We went last year. Fished 5 days. One day Halibut fishing and salmon the rest of the time.

Although I love eating Halibut, we did not care for the fishing for them. It's boring and really not much to it. I could barely tell when we had a fish on and it was just 5 minutes of cranking.

I'll stick to Salmon fishing.

Just my opinion of course.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                We went out of Whittier on a Halibut/Bear hunting trip and had a blast. One day we caught 12 fish that weighted a total of 1,400 lbs with the largest being 225. We went with Bubba Griggers and now him and his son have a deer processing place in Weatherford I believe. Bubba now has a lodge on Prince of Wales Island called Tree Tops Lodge.

http://www.alaskatreetopslodge.com/location.html

Who outfitted your bear hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntvideo View Post
                  Who outfitted your bear hunt?

Bubba Griggers, it was before he had Tree Top Lodge. He was in the military and guided on the side. He’s good friends with a friend of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by bow newby View Post
                    I’m leaving June 12th for a week in Anchorage. We have 2 days booked with a guide in Whittier. Any one been on one of these trips? Wondering what to expect. Can’t wait should be some beautiful boat rides to the fishing grounds
                    Pretty out of there…If you FedEx fish always have the processor do It on a Tuesday or Wednesday… you can do 2 day with no worries with an insulated box… there is a huge backlog on Monday fish from the weekend(there is a glut) and those boxes might sit an extra day in ANC. If you find the right processor, flash freeze your fish and keep them with you… a lot of the hotels up here have big freezers and will hold them for you… alaska air “was” .99/lb as cargo so it saves you $$… You want to keep those 40-60 pound fish. Release the breeders… Rockfish are awesome! Have good rain gear… will y’all have any sea sickness issues?? There are a few things you can do beforehand to make It an enjoyable trip. Tides don’t affect the fishing in Whittier like the do in Homer or Ninilchik. Have any more questions let me know.

Comment

I took my grandfather about 20 years ago and it was an awesome experience. We took a charter out of Homer and fished 50 miles out into the Cook Inlet in 175 feet of water using 3lb weights to get down to the bottom. The whales were amazing as we were literally covered up with humpbacks and I got some great video. It was a 2-fish limit back then and our party of six all limited out.

Don't be surprised if the guide/mate shoots the bigger fish before boating them. My captain used a .410, IIRC. Great advice here already, just have fun and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X