No announcement yet.

Archery in muzzle loader ! Yea or nay ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, since MLD has come along and hunter orange is required on public land for everything, might as well shake the bag and say:
    Hunting season starts Sept.1 and ends Feb. 15. End of story, no special set asides for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
      Well, since MLD has come along and hunter orange is required on public land for everything, might as well shake the bag and say
      Hunting season starts Sept.1 and ends Feb. 15. End of story, no special set asides for anything.
      While I don’t think it will ever happen, I share this opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
        Well, since MLD has come along and hunter orange is required on public land for everything, might as well shake the bag and say:
        I agree with this on all private land. It might as well be rifle season when bow season starts because the 3 ranches that surround our lease are all MLD so the gun hunters are all around us opening morning of bow season. I also like the earlier start because down here the main rut is in full swing opening morning of bow season so I would like it to start before the rut kicks in.

Comment

I didn't know there was a muzzle loader season.

Comment

I agree with Leon County slayer muzzle loaders are not necessarily primitive. If you go with patched round ball with iron sights then YES that is more primitive than compounds or crossbows.

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
              I agree with Leon County slayer muzzle loaders are not necessarily primitive. If you go with patched round ball with iron sights then YES that is more primitive than compounds or crossbows.
              This was the original intent of muzzle loader season, and then the manufacturers jumped on the band wagon and started designing rifles that the only difference was they were rifles without a brass case, and loaded from the muzzle capable of distances and accuracy of modern center fire rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                IDK, I wouldn't have punched a tag in '15 or '16 if not for late ML, I'm sure there are others that have the same story.
                See that's my story as well. Where I am hunting (public), I just haven't seen any bucks but there are plenty of does. Unfortunately, I didn't get a doe tag during gun season. So, ML season is my best chance now.

Comment

Nay Mr Treeshark. If archery during ML then the converse is fair…and I dont want ML during Archery season. Im fine hunting with varied respective weapons in their respective seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo47 View Post
                    This was the original intent of muzzle loader season, and then the manufacturers jumped on the band wagon and started designing rifles that the only difference was they were rifles without a brass case, and loaded from the muzzle capable of distances and accuracy of modern center fire rifles.
                    I agree with this, but haven’t compound bow companies done the same thing with left offs and increased speed?

Other than having to actually draw the bow, they’re a far cry from long bows and recurves.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo47 View Post
                      Get down to it, it was the original intent of archery season; recurves and longbows.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                        Muzzle loader is no longer a primitive weapon. I can shoot mine the same distance I can accurately shoot my firearm. I think they’re just trying to sell more shipment and I’d start with Bass Pro. I think they’re behind it all!
                        Id be fine with that. Other states said no in-lines f

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                        I like it the way it is. If you haven’t punched a tag by then your probably not going to.
                        I always save a tag for ML season. And I always use it. As mentioned, the deer are much more predictable

Originally posted by Treeshark View Post
                        I typically don’t shoot does early season, as I’m hunting for a big buck. I would love the option to shoot does during the ML season. It also happens to be a great time to hunt a mature buck as they get back to bachelor groups and become more regular on their schedules. Also, archery is a much closer range weapon than any ML, I don’t think it would hurt the ML people any to let us archery hunt during this time. It sounds like a great time to allow more folks to utilize this amazing deer resource! As it is I will probably shoot a doe during ML, but I would much rather use a bow!
                        Preach on!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I wonder if muzzleloader hunters complain about not being able to use them during archery season as much as bowhunters complain that they can’t bow hunt the muzzle loader season

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            I wonder if muzzleloader hunters complain about not being able to use them during archery season as much as bowhunters complain that they can’t bow hunt the muzzle loader season
                            If they did I don’t think they would have a valid argument. Archery equipment is more challenging as well as a closer range weapon than a ML. Smoke poles booming in October killing deer out to 100 yards would surely negatively effect bow season. On the other hand bow hunting in ML season would result in near zero negative influence on the black powder guys.

Comment

If you want to bow hunt during muzzleloader, you could always take a youth for archery.

Comment

Working...
                              X