No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning #2 and I’m in spot B. The flat I had yesterday was completely sealed after about 8 oz of slime in the tire. Be proactive, and not lazy like me, and slime your tires before you get here. Also, no fog this morning so visibility should be really good. Saw a big cow nilgai standing in the road close to unit 1 on my way in and several deer. I’m guessing they fed last night sense it’s warm. If it weren’t for the ticks and chiggers, I’d be hunting in shorts and snake boots right now. Maybe even a sleeveless shirt to work on the farmer tan I’m rocking. Federal Warden said no one was harvesting anything when I talked to him yesterday prior to afternoon hunt. We will see what today brings and I will check back in later.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
      If they wanted to help the Ocelot out they’d let us shoot their competitors (yotes and bobs). I saw quite a few bobcats out there.

I do wish they’d allow coyotes on the hit list, even if just during the archery hunts, but I doubt they’ll ever allow the take of bobcats. Bobs are just Way too similar in appearance to ocelots and sooner or later someone would end up putting an arrow thru the wrong cat and that’d be the end of this amazing hunt. But there are a bunch of them. I see at least one bobcat every trip out there, which I can’t say about any other place I’ve hunted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Absolutely nothing moving this morning. Rode way back in to some big open areas surrounded by thick brush. Not a single thing popped out at any point. Tried to move some and got into one of those thick bunch grass areas and nearly stepped on a 4-5’ rattlesnake. He just happened to be in a bare patch of dirt. I was about to step and thought “That piece of dirt looks interesti…..OH F!!!!!”. Nice adrenaline jolt. Rattle was almost as long as my index finger. Wish they’d let us take one rattler apiece, since that sucker was a for-sure trophy. Skeezed out after that, since I started thinking about stepping on another one in the thick stuff.

Rode some more roads and headed back to the truck, and nothing was moving along the way there either.

Comment

Watching a coyote at 200 yrds

Comment

Plan B was a “b” for bust. Saw 2 does and a small 9 point on my way out that might have made 130 but I bet there would have been ground shrinkage. Should be nice in a couple of years. Saw a pretty decent black snake and decided it was time for a break. Weather is mot ideal but still have a day and a half.

Comment

Good reports fellas.
              Watching closely because I’ll be there next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by treestandjunky View Post
                Good reports fellas.
                Watching closely because I’ll be there next weekend.
                Pray for a cold front that makes it all the way down here!

Comment

Jumped two hogs tonight. Hammered both. First just kept running. Second got knocked down, but then got up and kept running. Couple other hunters popped up and yelled, since the hog was between us, so I didn’t follow up. Dead pigs either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Log View Post
                    Jumped two hogs tonight. Hammered both. First just kept running. Second got knocked down, but then got up and kept running. Couple other hunters popped up and yelled, since the hog was between us, so I didn’t follow up. Dead pigs either way.

Yelled? WTH

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
                      Yelled? WTH
                      Waved, jumped up, saw orange, let me know they were a couple hundred yards away. Unless you are looking directly at person, they aren’t easy to spot. That’s why we wear orange.

Not blaming them, they were just letting me know they were there so I didn’t shoot their direction.
                      Last edited by Log; 12-04-2021, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Saw a doe, a 6 point and a giant black hog this evening. Nothing I wanted to pull the trigger on.
                        Pro trip for those of you on the future hunts: there seems to be a ton of bugs here especially gnats. When you are riding your bike in the dark you will run through several of them. Wear a buff over your face so you don’t consume an entire mouth full as you ride through one. Learned that the hard way.

Comment

Last day fellas! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Nothing moving.

Comment

Knew I should have brought my fishing gear, haha

Comment

Doe at 50 yrds, let her walk.
                                Barely taller than the grass!
                                Last edited by CityLimitSlayr; 12-05-2021, 07:49 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Working...
                                X