No announcement yet.

New feeder idea help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a couple that collapsed in with the legs mounted in the middle. If you mount them in the middle of the barrel, I would recommend a cross brace on the inside to keep it from collapsing in. Also you better stake the legs down good or pigs will probably knock it over eventually. I like to use T-Post driven it at the same angle of the legs and then strapping the T-Post to the legs. If you strap the legs to the T-Posts, there really is no reason to mount the legs to the middle of the barrel.
    If you don't want to build a cage to protect your motor box and corn that will knock corn straight down and cause the pigs to really dig a big hole under your feeder, you can get one of these https://sniperhoglights.com/the-guardian/ and nothing will mess with it. I've put them on stand and fills and completely cut the cage off them.

Comment

All we use are 55gal banks for feeders, have tried all sorts of combinations thru the years. The ones we have attached higher up the bbl tend to cave in easier than those attached close to the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        My question is why attach them higher? What are you trying to accomplish? I think you would definitely need a band around the barrel with the legs that high. Hogs will have easier access to the motor/spinner if the top of the barrel is only 6’ high. You will need one heck of a cage to protect it.
        Honest answer is so my dad stops tipping them over when he is 10ft in the air on a ladder. He has a tendency to lean on them too much with a bag of feed in his arms and it has caused some injuries to the man. Ground is too hard to steak them down with T posts. The coons aren't that bad where we are but we do have 1 big pig and he can touch our protein feeder and its sitting at 42 inches from the ground.

Comment

I think with 4 legs it won’t tip from leaning on it anyway.

The higher on the barrel you attach the legs, the less rigid the barrel is, and more likely to cave in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X