Nothing But Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing But Problems

Went to my 30 acres to build a blind and fill feeders. Blind did not turn out as good as I hoped but it's better than a pop-up which is what I was using. Went to fill feeders. I have 2, each one on a pipeline about 100 yards on each side of where I will be sitting. Well, my creek crossing is washed out. So, I cut some trees and dropped in the creek just so I could get my corn across. As it turned out I got stuck going up the other side. So, I had to carry my corn to the feeder and walk out of the woods to get my tractor and b-i-l to help me out. Finally got the 4 wheeler out and had to carry a ladder back down there to fill the feeder. Low and behold, the squirrels chewed a hole in the lid. Went back to the truck, got some tape and went back and taped it the hole. I still love hunting.

I do not live here and no-one is able to keep corn on the ground or I would just keep a big pile of corn on the ground. Any other ideas if the squirrels keep eating my Moultrie feeder? Are there any troughs out there that would work?
    Attached Files

Looks like you got a pretty nice place to hunt. Get some new tires for the 4 wheeler and get you a steel feeder. You can likely transfer the timer, motor, plate, ECT over to a steel 55 gallon drum.

I had a plastic feeder once, it lasted a bit over a year. Turns out it got a bit brittle in that time period, being in the sun all day. Then the cattle pushed it over, so when it hit the ground, it shattered. Left about 300 lbs. of corn on the ground. The deer and coons loved that. That was my first and last plastic feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      Looks like you got a pretty nice place to hunt. Get some new tires for the 4 wheeler and get you a steel feeder. You can likely transfer the timer, motor, plate, ECT over to a steel 55 gallon drum.

I had a plastic feeder once, it lasted a bit over a year. Turns out it got a bit brittle in that time period, being in the sun all day. Then the cattle pushed it over, so when it hit the ground, it shattered. Left about 300 lbs. of corn on the ground. The deer and coons loved that. That was my first and last plastic feeder.
      Thanks. It's very heavy hunting pressure. Deer leases and cattle ranch that gets hunted all the way around. I'm lucky to see deer. I have a tractor and brush hog but no disc so, I can't plant food plots. I keep the corn running year round and pray for the best. The last deer I killed on this place was 4 years ago and that buck was chasing a doe.

Comment

Here's an idea. Instead of feeding corn to coons and having to worry about being there to feed, put your money into habitat improvement on the land. Both problems solved.

Comment

A quick fix for you feeder lid is to just get a molasses bucket and drop it over the top for your lid. I've done this before because the squirrels chewed a hole through my lid on my moultrie feeder. Most ranches that have cattle have molasses buckets just laying around.

Comment

Sounds like you need a week with a dozer to reroute things.

Comment

Varmits and plastic don't go well together. Get a metal lid. I have a complete barrel and lid I will let you have but it is a long way from where you are (near Junction).

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                I have a tractor and brush hog but no disc so, I can't plant food plots. .
                Look up "throw & mow". You already have all you need to make a nice food plot. Discing is over rated.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                  Discing is over rated.
                  Actually it’s not. Discing holds moisture when it rains.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                    Actually it’s not. Discing holds moisture when it rains.
                    All day, everyday. There is a reason farmers disc and it ain't because it's fun..

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
                      Varmits and plastic don't go well together. Get a metal lid. I have a complete barrel and lid I will let you have but it is a long way from where you are (near Junction).
                      Yes sir. Thanks for the offer.

Comment

Quite a few barrels on craigslist near your location for pretty cheap. We have some here, but again, a ways away and they're full of paint residue anyway.

Comment

Do they make metal lids for Moultrie plastic feeders?

Comment

I have a nice galvanized feeder with 4 legs - Nice timer and solar panel ( raccoon proof) that I will give you but I live in Hallettsville! I could meet you in Bastrop if you want it! It was over $400 new 13 years ago! All you would need is a 12v battery.

It will take 2 people to stand it up ��
                            Last edited by Bucknaked; 05-19-2021, 07:30 AM. Reason: Added content

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                              I have a nice galvanized feeder with 4 legs - Nice timer and solar panel ( raccoon proof) that I will give you but I live in Hallettsville! I could meet you in Bastrop if you want it! It was over $400 new 13 years ago! All you would need is a 12v battery.

It will take 2 people to stand it up ��
                              Now there is a great offer you might need to consider........

Rwc

Comment

Working...
                              X