Catalytic Converter Theft - Bassmaster Elite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
    So a quick squirt of krylon stops or slows down the theft.

Got it
    Headed to wal marks....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thief sees a little krylon and move on to the next one. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The people doing this......they happen to be peasants looking for a better life?
      And why aren’t scrap yards held responsible for buying them?

Comment

Noticed this article where they did catch one of these low lifes.

Comment

I don't under stand the paint aspect. Seems pretty simple to remove the paint. Make sure to get high temp paint if you do go that route. Converters run 800-1200 degrees depending on vehicle, engine load, ambient temps etc.

Why regulate scrap yards for purchasing them? Let's actually prosecute, execute those stealing them instead. Almost every scrap yard requires you to take a photo with your converters you are selling. Find those people selling and fix the problem.

Seems like an easy sting operation. Park 7 tundras in the waffle house parking lot. Catch the 47 meth heads attempting to steal them. Do this enough times word will get out.

Comment

Ya they hit me too. A tundra. In a Kroger parking lot. Shocked when I started up my car and it sounded very loud. $3000 for OEM. I got a knock off for $1500.

Comment

Got a little to close to Vidor.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but are these bolt-on/off? Seems like you’d hear someone stealing it otherwise..

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                  Pardon my ignorance, but are these bolt-on/off? Seems like you’d hear someone stealing it otherwise..
                  Yes they do bolt on. However, the manner in which these jackwagons are stealing them are typically a Sawzall.

Comment

I figured a sawzall would be loud enough to garner attention. Guess they are in/out in less than a minute.

Comment

I’m surprised scrap yards aren’t required to keep records of people selling converters, especially en masse. If it was like a tow yard bringing them in that’d be one thing, but no way some white trash Vidorian tweaker would have a legitimate reason to that many.
                      Last edited by Etxbuckman; 04-10-2021, 08:15 AM.

Comment

In the last year I have my fleet hit 4 times. I have to replace 22 set of cats on my Isuzu Npr's. We caught one group of them. They were an organized group out of Houston(We are in the Austin area). They are smart. They will either rent a truck/suv with false Id's or steal a vehicle.

Comment

So I’m not up to date on the converter issues. Why are folks stealing them?

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
                            So I’m not up to date on the converter issues. Why are folks stealing them?
                            Precious metals inside them. Someone said worth about 250 to 300 per converter.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                              Bad problem. Until the wheels of justice and public opinion favor Law Enforcement it will get worse. The correct Law Enforcement response now is wait long enough to take a report. What do people expect with Defund, monday morning quarterback, slow motion watching an incident saying what should have been done- the list goes on. Why would you confront a suspect when you can just wait and take a report?
                              This was a problem long before defund. I agree it's now too risky to be a LEO.

The question is Why should a LEO waste his time arresting someone when the courts will just let them out even though they have 1,2,3,4 or heck 10+ warrants already out on them?

Comment

Negative RR- Response was always fast to persons crimes in progress. Actually less than 3 minutes. Not so much anymore. Property crimes in progress can take longer depending on if there are “hot shot” type calls in progress (persons violent crimes). Guys didnt choose to be a cop if they didnt want to play “cops vs robbers”. I did it for years because i had addiction to the “rush”. No alcohol or drug I know of gives the feeling of a hot call. It is not “fun” to run toward gunfire but it does release chemicals some guys/gals are addicted to. Is it fun to push a car- chase someone through unknown places- enter a house or building behind someone with violent intentions, etc but that is why some signed up to do the job.

With all that said those guys are now handcuffed and not doing it. It is not something a person that made their living from a keyboard would understand. Built out of different blocks.

It had nothing to do with the courts, saving cats from trees, helping someone cross the road - which you gotta do- Did it for the high adrenaline dumps- those that do it for a living and others consider them a “chit magnet” know exactly what I’m talking about
                                Last edited by glen; 04-10-2021, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X