Gifted and talented kids.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gifted and talented kids.

Let me start off by saying that my son is very smart, he tested higher than 99% of kids his age on some test the school gives now lol. Anyway, he struggles with basic directions badly. We can give him a chore to do and before he gets it completed hes forgot what he was supposed to do. He can't focus on one task at one time. I read thru the old thread about the add and adhd kids. Lots said that medicine helped them focus. So should we have our son tested and possibly put on medication?

My son was tested, and put on medication. It did help with focus, but it turned him into another person.
    Taken off of medication a year later. We have our son back. Personal choice.

Comment

If he is not a discipline problem…then nope.

For the record, I am not a dr.

Eliminate distractions by turning off electronics…will it may take a bit but I have found they are normally the issue with G&T reaching into potential.

Comment

ADHD is probably what he’s got going on.

For those of us with this gift, a list of things to do each day is the best tool we can have to stay focused. Even if you have to add sub bullets to each item on the list to help him complete the task.

Once he learns to harness the power of ADHD, look out World!!!

Comment

Here is my personal experience.........I was one of the most hyper kids that ever walked the planet. To this day I am more physically active then most people and I am currently 55. My parents always said that is I was born first then they would not have ever had another child. Back then they did not throw meds at kids for these issues. My parents simple kept me inline. My kids were not as bad as me but doctors and teachers always wanted to put them on meds. We got through it the old fashion way and I think we are all better off because of that. I have seen so many kids that seem to be zombies while on that stuff. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

-john

Comment

I got several nephews on ADHD meds. I hyper kid with no focus is better than a zombie kid

Comment

At age 10-12 I was diagnosed with ADHD. I remember the way it made me feel. I was on a very small dose. Parents had a pull cutter snd were cutting already tiny pills into quarters.

I remember coming home and CRASHING! I was also very moody in the afternoon as it wore off. I remember feeling different as a child.

When I got older, I wasn’t the greatest. Made bad life choices and got involved with wrong people. I tried a white powdery substance once and was immediately taken back to the feeling of my ADHD medication. Same feeling, same cranky come down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I forgot to add, he's only 7. If that matters. Discipline isn't an issue most of the time. Occasionally when he gets overwhelmed he will claw and hit himself. A friend of ours who has a daughter diagnosed with add said this is a sign of add or adhd. Id say he does this maybe once ever month.

Comment

I've known 4 boys that were put on meds. One was a wild child, but they put him on so much that it seemed to cause some developmental issues mentally. The rest went from normal kids that run around and play outside to little fat kids that lay around.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                    Here is my personal experience.........I was one of the most hyper kids that ever walked the planet. To this day I am more physically active then most people and I am currently 55. My parents always said that is I was born first then they would not have ever had another child. Back then they did not throw meds at kids for these issues. My parents simple kept me inline. My kids were not as bad as me but doctors and teachers always wanted to put them on meds. We got through it the old fashion way and I think we are all better off because of that. I have seen so many kids that seem to be zombies while on that stuff. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

-john
                    Oh he gets his share of whoopings. He's not overly active i wouldn't say. He'll play by him for hours building things, drawing, reading, or playing outside. When he can't figure stuff out or get something built the way he wants then that's when he goes to the stuff I said above. We used to whoop him for it but now we just leave him alone. The problem lies when he does it at school. His teacher (advanced class and gt) said that he finishes what they're working on and then zones out. Then when he comes back to reality he's behind and freaks out. We just need him to focus lol

Comment

All medication isn't bad. But be prepared to switch meds and change dosages. If one doesn't work don't give up on medication. It simply a supplement for what you're already doing at home.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                        Oh he gets his share of whoopings. He's not overly active i wouldn't say. He'll play by him for hours building things, drawing, reading, or playing outside. When he can't figure stuff out or get something built the way he wants then that's when he goes to the stuff I said above. We used to whoop him for it but now we just leave him alone. The problem lies when he does it at school. His teacher (advanced class and gt) said that he finishes what they're working on and then zones out. Then when he comes back to reality he's behind and freaks out. We just need him to focus lol
                        Sounds just like me other than I was not prone to freaking out. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. My middle daughter is a teacher and in her first teaching job in a less than desirable school district she taught 4th grade. Out of 20 students she had something like 18 on meds. It was a train wreck. After a couple of years she change to a new district and got away from that problem. Some teacher and/or doctors just look for the easy way out in my opinion.

-john

Comment

I worry about the "zombie state" but have also read to keep changing meds and doses till we find a good fit. Apparently if they are zombies the medication is not correct.

Comment

Sounds like a normal little boy. There are some books you might be interested for him by Jocko Willink. I think your son is at the perfect age for them.

Way of the Warrior Kid is the first one, but there are a bunch. It basically teaches discipline, but at a kids level so that it gets through.

I am also anti ADHD meds unless it the child is a danger to himself or others. So take my opinion with that caveat.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                              Sounds like a normal little boy. There are some books you might be interested for him by Jocko Willink. I think your son is at the perfect age for them.

Way of the Warrior Kid is the first one, but there are a bunch. It basically teaches discipline, but at a kids level so that it gets through.

I am also anti ADHD meds unless it the child is a danger to himself or others. So take my opinion with that caveat.
                              I second this ^^, as I know this scenario very well.
                              Growing up with a brother, who was a study case for the University of Indiana(8 yrs) back in the 90s, meds would be the last thing I put my kid on.

Comment

Working...
                              X