Palo Duro Canyon- TPWD Exotic Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palo Duro Canyon- TPWD Exotic Hunt

Dad and I got drawn!!! We’ll be headed to Palo Duro Canyon State Park, January 8th-10th of next year chasing some Canyon aoudad. Pretty pumped as this is our first time to get drawn for a TPWD hunt. We’ve been putting in for the Chap as long as I can remember (Dad has 23 points alone) Haha.

Any advice, past experiences, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a beautiful place to hunt. Spent some time there with the family and looking forward to going back.
    Congrats and good luck

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      What a beautiful place to hunt. Spent some time there with the family and looking forward to going back.
      Congrats and good luck

Thank you, sir!! Did you camp there? If so, hows the facilities/camp grounds?

Comment

Good binos on a tripod!!!!!!!

Congrats on drawing an awesome hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by Jzoch View Post
          Thank you, sir!! Did you camp there? If so, hows the facilities/camp grounds?

We did camp there, we had a pop up camper. No complaints about restrooms and showers.

Comment

Comment

Thank you, sir!! Yeah, I’ve been picking Colton’s brain on it some already. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                Good binos on a tripod!!!!!!!

Congrats on drawing an awesome hunt!

Thank you!! Yes sir. Definitely going to be bringing some good glass on this trip.

Comment

No help other than good luck, that is one of the hunts I'd love to draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                    No help other than good luck, that is one of the hunts I'd love to draw.

Thanks brother!!

Comment

Take lots of pics and do a write up when you return!

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                        Take lots of pics and do a write up when you return!

I will for sure!! Even if we don’t get a ram, it’s going to be a hunt of a lifetime. Glad I get to spend it with my dad.

Comment

I did that hunt way back in 1980. My brother and I got drawn for Aoudad and mule deer. We both scored. Back then, we hunted the Lighthouse Canyon Ranch. That's the property up out of the park/canyon. I actually killed my sheep and my deer off "Aoudad Point" which is straight behind the light house rock formation in that beautiful sunset pic you posted. It is the little box canyon across the flat top back southwest of lighthouse canyon... Beautiful country, but 2 things... That time of year, it can and likely will be COLD, bitterly cold if there's any wind. Second thing, IF it happens to warm up, even in the 50's and the sun is out shining on the rocks, watch out for rattlesnakes!! They come out in droves from their dens to sun on the rocks. They're lethargic from the cold and if they sense anything, they will just strike out wildly... I've never been really spooked by snakes before, but the canyon tops that the sun hits for a few hours can be down right scary/dangerous!

Overall it is a great hunt and I'm sure y'all will have a great time!
                          Good luck!

Comment

It will be COLD. Like, cold cold.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              I did that hunt way back in 1980. My brother and I got drawn for Aoudad and mule deer. We both scored. Back then, we hunted the Lighthouse Canyon Ranch. That's the property up out of the park/canyon. I actually killed my sheep and my deer off "Aoudad Point" which is straight behind the light house rock formation in that beautiful sunset pic you posted. It is the little box canyon across the flat top back southwest of lighthouse canyon... Beautiful country, but 2 things... That time of year, it can and likely will be COLD, bitterly cold if there's any wind. Second thing, IF it happens to warm up, even in the 50's and the sun is out shining on the rocks, watch out for rattlesnakes!! They come out in droves from their dens to sun on the rocks. They're lethargic from the cold and if they sense anything, they will just strike out wildly... I've never been really spooked by snakes before, but the canyon tops that the sun hits for a few hours can be down right scary/dangerous!

Overall it is a great hunt and I'm sure y'all will have a great time!
                              Good luck!

Awesome!! Thanks for the information. I’m not a fan of snakes so I will definitely be packing my snake boots now. Or better yet, buying some new insulated ones. Haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X