No announcement yet.

Besides real horns what do y'all use to rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a real man, I just grind my teeth real loud and they come running!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381976710.527943.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	24256004

Rattled and dropped this one on 11-11-11 with the bag-o-sticks. He came busting in to about 30 yards looking for a fight! So much fun!

Comment

fox pro

Comment

Originally posted by silencer2011 View Post
          I am actually kinda impressed with the pack rack from primos. And they are small and compact too.
          I have been impressed with also.

Comment

Haven't rattled in anything mature. I've used real horns and a rattle bag. The only buck call I use is the Primos Buck Roar. I've tried others with limited success. I have noticed with the buck roar the littler ones come in slow and timid, and the big ones come in looking for a fight. Of course this is just my experience here in Comanche county where I hunt, buck to doe ratio isn't great and that may explain why the horns don't work as good.

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
              Another question. Do y'all put anything on the horns from one year to the next to keep them from drying out and having a different sound? I've heard vegetable oil?
              Nope. I keep em put up in the house. If ya leave to where the elements, especially the sun, they loose their tone big time.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxisman View Post
                I am a real man, I just grind my teeth real loud and they come running!!
                Lol!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  fox pro
                  No kidding it works that well? I can see the benefit of no movement i just wouldnt have thought it sounded that real. I'm a huge fan of fresh sheds or a fresh kill so they do not dry out and I soak in water every year. I have had my set for about 8 years and I call them magic horns!

Comment

How about Illusion products. They have got me interested...

Is the call and/or the antlers worth the price. The infomercial on TV sold me, but what say you all...

I am new to being able to hunt on my own land now and will be able to invest much more time hunting, so I figured these would be two items I could use.

Comment

My brother made a cool custom rattling rig......It's a few antler pieces with holes drilled in their ends. He then tied 2 loops of cord through each end. He rolls the antlers together kind of like the bag rattling stuff.
                      Sound pretty real.

Comment

Originally posted by silencer2011 View Post
                        I am actually kinda impressed with the pack rack from primos. And they are small and compact too.
                        Biggest deer I've killed was using pack rack. I've rattled in dozens of deer with it and the flex tone Marvin Wafflehouse grunt call

Comment

Guess ill give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
                            Another question. Do y'all put anything on the horns from one year to the next to keep them from drying out and having a different sound? I've heard vegetable oil?
                            Linseed oil brother, it will aid in keeping the good tone of your antlers, also you need to keep èm in a shady and cool area while not in use

Comment

I had one a rattlebag from years back which is about twice the size of the smaller versions now. I had success quite a few times with it and it has a deeper sound than some of the newer versions. I also made my own which worked last Sat. morning and the evening hunt. Many times I believe the timing in the stages of the pre-rut or rut or more important than what you use. Of course, doe and buck ratio can have a big effect. I just like the rattlebag just because I can lay it down and click it a little with minimum movement.

Comment

going to give the black rack a try this year. I've had success with real horns and synthetic ones. It's more the timing and the mood of the deer than the horns used.

Comment

Working...
                                X