No announcement yet.

Deer Dog Recoveries: 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went and checked cameras today and carried my little girl and Slim with me to work him on a mock trail after we had took care of the cameras. Well at the first feeder we drove up on a big group of hogs, I grabbed my .270 and cut a big sow right behind the shoulder. They group scattered and I picked another good sow that was running the other direction, I hit her in the neck so it wasn't much of a tracking job. I got Slim out and we went to look for the big sow that ran off. As soon as we got into the tree line pigs broke and ran everywhere. My little girl and Slim were both a bit on edge. I found blood under the feeder and Slim went to work, I messed him up by stopping him a few times to let my little girl get untangled from the brush but he always went back to work. The sow went about 100 yrds and made several turns, one time actually crossing back over the blood trail. I was proud that he worked it out and stayed with it even though I held him up several times. Here is hog #1

I took Slim about 50 yrds out into the field and walked him down wind of the 2nd hog, as soon as we got the wind right he B-lined right to her. I'm as proud of him as any dog I have ever owned and he may not be much to some but it would take a big check to get him off my little girl and my hands lol. Here is him with hog #2

Please give me a call if you are having trouble finding a critter in or around Henderson Co. I asked to be put on the tracking dog list but havent been added yet.

Clay Epperson
    903-681-6044

Comment

Attaboy Clay

Comment

Way to go!!!

Comment

Rein has had a pretty good two weeks. Last weekend she went 3 for 4. One of the 3 was just a practice since the deer was located already but the other 2 were good. The miss I believe is still alive.
          This weekend she found one and it was a tough track, the buck was still alive and we bumped him. Pretty long track too.
          Of course she found mine but it was simple.
          Here are a few picsClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354493558.886496.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	24146092Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354493575.486209.jpg
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	24146093Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354493602.536212.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	24146094Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354493711.286570.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	24146095Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354493724.254297.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	24146096

Comment

My buddies girlfriends first deer. He said she had a broadside shot but buck spun hard on release and hit far back and angled out thru back hip. He had blood for about 50 yds. Backed out and he texted me and said we need needed to go back to camp and get the dogs I got out of my stand and met him at camp. Put the dogs down and they jumped him at about 400 yds and ended up dragging him down at 791 yds from where he was shot. She was very excited. She was sick at the thought of making a bad shot. My buddy told me he was afraid that if we wouldn't have found it she might not want to hunt anymore. Very proud of the dogs.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354496599.595509.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	24146112

Comment

Put my for Hoyt on two more trails one was a doe my wife shot hit her far back had guts on the arrow. We waited 3 hrs before trailing, found her not far from where she was shot I'd say it took him about 5 mins
              Second was last night sitting in a treestand behind the house, I had about 12 hogs come in, arrow blew through one shoulder but lodged in the opposite I coudn't find any blood (high entrance and no exit). Was pretty rushed to find her (dinner/dancing plans with the wife) and knew it was a fatal shot so I got Hoyt right away on the trail, another under 5 min track. My dog kept me out of the doghouse bc if it hadnt been for Hoyt I would have been looking for awhile. Going to the ranch this weekend so hopefully will have more to post when. I get back

Comment

Congrats to everybody

Comment

Any updates

Comment

Congrats everybody for some good tracking. I love reading all of the stories.

Comment

TTT, would love to see more people posting and sharing pictures of their recoveries with k9 s..

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355110461.607597.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	24148944

Possum

Comment

As always Jerry a magnificent deer and a great recovery. I personally always enjoy following your recoveries!! Keep up the good work.

Comment

Great posts on tracking dogs. Had a few different dogs and used a tracking dog for approx 36 yrs with a number of hunters. Many good hits you may not need them but it still saves time especially on afternoon hunts. I wish I would have took pictures of all deer and hogs that would not have been found without a dog. If something increases your chances in finding downed game, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by HCtracker View Post
                              Great posts on tracking dogs. Had a few different dogs and used a tracking dog for approx 36 yrs with a number of hunters. Many good hits you may not need them but it still saves time especially on afternoon hunts. I wish I would have took pictures of all deer and hogs that would not have been found without a dog. If something increases your chances in finding downed game, go for it.
                              ^^^^^^Sir,I am curious as to what breed of dogs u have used..!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
                                ^^^^^^Sir,I am curious as to what breed of dogs u have used..!
                                I used beagles, weimaraners and lab. Using a lab right now (multiple uses). Around a catahoula/heeler cross at the ranch and will most likely work him some on tracking to where I have a backup dog or two. I have had other breeds for other hunting also. They all will track your deer. Some cold-trail better, some are easier to control, some work slower and bay your game, some will be waiting for you when you get there with the deer in his mouth. If I had my choice and did it more, I would have one of each plus love dogs. Pay attention to your dog's reactions on a trail and give the dog time to sort out a trail. You will know when he is hot on trail. Consider wind direction and wind velocity when looking for blood periodically. At times the blood that you see could be 5 yards upwind of where the dog is traveling when the dog is smelling blood molecules in the air that we don't see. Consider the size of dog that fits your lifestyle, the terrain you hunt, other purposes you can use the dog for, etc. Would be glad to discuss further on here or email or call. I could get into more on some differences on the breeds and handling differences on the trail.

Comment

Working...
                                X