No announcement yet.

DIY flats skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That boat is amazing! Last year two of my buddy’s made a boat in a shop but it doesn’t even compare to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Love that she finally hit the water! Boat looks fantastic and the call on the new motor is the right one. As much time as you spent perfecting her, she deserves new power. Looking forward to slime on the deck soon!

Comment

Saw the boat in person. It looks as good in person as in the pics.

Good to see you Sir. Hopefully next time I’ll be free.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
          Saw the boat in person. It looks as good in person as in the pics.

Good to see you Sir. Hopefully next time I’ll be free.

It was very nice to see you again my friend! Sorry you got drenched in the rain and I look forward to us taking her out soon!

Comment

Cool following along, congrats.

Comment

Congrats Michael, I'm glad she performed the way you expected. Good luck with the new outboard.

Comment

I had no doubt she would perform like you had expected. Great recap.

Rwc

Comment

Thanks guys! I am so fortunate, a guy on bookface reached out to me after he saw the problems I was having with the outboard (ran when it wanted to). He has been building and racing the Evinrude 15 for decades and pointed me in the right direction. I thought I was smart going with a newer design carb but he said they were junk (I completely agree) and that I should rebuild one from the early 80’s using specific jets. Well it just so happens I had one on the shelf that checked all his boxes and the rebuild kit arrived yesterday. After installing it and replacing the communist fuel pump with a Sierra, she runs like a top!

Saturday morning her WOT speed was 21 trimmed all the way down and running a Solas 4-blade hole shot prop. Last night I scored a NOS Michigan 3-blade stainless speed prop that should arrive Monday or Tuesday. Weather permitting I am going to take her out to a local lake and dial her in. The goal is to be able to cruise in the low/mid 20’s and top out upper 20’s if not 30. If anyone is interested and free Wednesday morning, meet me at Bryan Utilities Lake for a few test runs?

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                    Thanks guys! I am so fortunate, a guy on bookface reached out to me after he saw the problems I was having with the outboard (ran when it wanted to). He has been building and racing the Evinrude 15 for decades and pointed me in the right direction. I thought I was smart going with a newer design carb but he said they were junk (I completely agree) and that I should rebuild one from the early 80’s using specific jets. Well it just so happens I had one on the shelf that checked all his boxes and the rebuild kit arrived yesterday. After installing it and replacing the communist fuel pump with a Sierra, she runs like a top!

Saturday morning her WOT speed was 21 trimmed all the way down and running a Solas 4-blade hole shot prop. Last night I scored a NOS Michigan 3-blade stainless speed prop that should arrive Monday or Tuesday. Weather permitting I am going to take her out to a local lake and dial her in. The goal is to be able to cruise in the low/mid 20’s and top out upper 20’s if not 30. If anyone is interested and free Wednesday morning, meet me at Bryan Utilities Lake for a few test runs?

Michael

Next Wednesday right?

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                      Next Wednesday right?

Yessir

Comment

Great news! Hope you are in the good now.

Comment

Sweet build!

Comment

The outboard purrs! The NOS Michigan 10” x 10” three blade prop arrived and has been installed. In the morning at 9am I will be at Lake Bryan to get Skipjack all dialed in. She should literally skip across the water with this new prop but we shall see.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                              The outboard purrs! The NOS Michigan 10” x 10” three blade prop arrived and has been installed. In the morning at 9am I will be at Lake Bryan to get Skipjack all dialed in. She should literally skip across the water with this new prop but we shall see.

Michael
                              Awesome build! Now I really want a Hook Burger though. We spent a lot of time on Lake Bryan in undergrad, great memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                                Awesome build! Now I really want a Hook Burger though. We spent a lot of time on Lake Bryan in undergrad, great memories.

Just for you...

BTW, thank you Gigem95 for all y’all’s assistance this morning!

Comment

Working...
                                X