Your Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Thoughts

I say that you knew the commitment when you entered the Academy. As for the others, they knew as well and should serve before going to play a ball game.

The US Navy has denied a request by football team captain Cameron Kinley to delay his military service and try to play in the National Football League.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
    I say that you knew the commitment when you entered the Academy. As for the others, they knew as well and should serve before going to play a ball game.

The US Navy has denied a request by football team captain Cameron Kinley to delay his military service and try to play in the National Football League.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Agreed
    Letting him out of this commitment wont be doing him any favors and certainly wont be doing the academy any either.

Comment

Been quite a few in the NFL. I am not sure how that was worked out. Did they serve 1st? What has been the standard over the last 15 years? Not sure, but I doubt he is a starter. Navy will let him train globally and then next stop NFL.......he wins either way.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Most of us remember David Robinson of the Spurs---he graduated from Annapolis and did his active duty stint before entering the NBA. Might have been shortened due to his height---couldn't serve in a submarine for sure nor be a pilot.

Comment

He knew the rules/expectations when he signed up for his free education. Too bad, so sad.

Comment

I agree on he knew the rules, but in his defense, haven't they let others forgo their duty until after their NFL days? I thiink I've read that they have.

Comment

Staubach had to wait. He should too.

Comment

He and the Bucs should have know the commitment. But expecting people to maintain their commitments and accountable to their choices is something we are missing as a society

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  I agree on he knew the rules, but in his defense, haven't they let others forgo their duty until after their NFL days? I thiink I've read that they have.
                  of course, there have been those that played in the national felon league and then served, it's in the article. It was a chance he took and now he is whining about it. Tough.

Comment

Roger Staubach is another example. He was drafted by the cowboys (1964) a year before his college eligibility was over because he had been out of high school for 4 yrs. Because of his military commitment, he wouldn't play pro ball until 1969 as a 27 yr. old rookie.

Just read the article where he said that he was well aware of his commitment when he signed in to the academy but thought that he deserved to try to play ball first. Proud of the Navy for sticking with their rules.
                    Last edited by Pstraw; 06-09-2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                      of course, there have been those that played in the national felon league and then served, it's in the article. It was a chance he took and now he is whining about it. Tough.

I didn't read the article... I saw it on twitter a few days ago. I'd be curious why they allowed some and not him before I made a decision on "Tough"..

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                        Staubach had to wait. He should too.
                        Yes he did. That's why I noted how things have been handled in the last 10 - 15 years with multiple academy athletes. Either way the young man will get to play.....now or later. Plus, as an officer from the academy his life won't be half bad.....win/win!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey kid !!!!
                          Want some cheese, with that whine ...........???

He knew the rules... He took the oath.....
                          He states, His life long dream, "is being, taken away from him"..................
                          No it's not...... You signed it away..............
                          Actions.... have consquences.....
                          If he, was the class president...... My sympathy goes out, to those who have
                          to serve with him...........

Comment

less than a month after my dad and his good buddy enlisted into the Marine Corps (back in the 70's) his buddy got offered to play professional hockey. he asked the Corps if he could leave and break his contract and my dad said they laughed at him and said "we got you for 4 years. get comfy!" same situation in my opinion here. you signed the contract, you need to serve and honor the contract you signed. tough luck buddy.

Comment

He knew what he signed up for. He also wasn't drafted, just signed an undrafted free agent contract. No promises he will make it anyway. Also what about the other students that could be professionals in engineering, law, etc that could go get great jobs right out of school but have to serve out their commitment??? I do not think pro sports should get special treatment.

Comment

Working...
                              X