Crappie Spawn, open banks/bulk heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crappie Spawn, open banks/bulk heads

No spots requested, but how do you approach open/bulk headed banks for crappie during the spawn. I've used the light slip cork method in the past with ok results. Most of my crappie fishing in the spawn was done on lakes with a lot of cypress and standing timber.

When their nose is to the wall they won't turn around and bite a bait back behind them. You have to drop the bait in front of them tight against the wall. Best time for minnows. Works the same everywhere, stumps, bridge piers etc. If they in a feeding pattern they will be facing outward and will move out a good ways to grab the bait. Best time for jigs. Crappie is some funny critters and all it takes is a little finesse. And patience.

Comment

Seems like night time fishing with a slip bobber and a glow stick is tough to beat this time of the year if you can catch a night with light winds.

Comment

I have caught them on rocks/riffraff during the spawn in shallow. If you could place brush tops in about 7 to 10ft of water in front of the bulkheads I am sure they would stack up on it.

Using minnows under slip cork up against the bulkheads you probably would catch a few cats also this time of the year or just a little later.

Comment

depending on lake, after next week get out of the boat and wade or walk the bank. I usually fix a cork at about 8 inches over a jig. It is not as consistent a bite as other times of year but is the most fun.

Comment

All of this is very good information. However all fish do not rush the shallows at the same time. You can always catch them on some kind of structure out a little deeper too.

Comment

for a novice... can someone explain the term bulkheads. looking to get out on my kayak and catch a few slabs.

Comment

Originally posted by JACK750 View Post
                All of this is very good information. However all fish do not rush the shallows at the same time. You can always catch them on some kind of structure out a little deeper too.

This!! I don’t fish shallower than about 8’ even during the spawn. It’s productive it’s just not my thing.

Comment

I always go to the very back of bulkheads. Fish the corners and any culverts or any structure that you see

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Bulkheads same as retaining wall along shore line

Comment

I like to use a Roadrunner on an ultralight with 4lb line.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X