Richland Creek WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richland Creek WMA

Hello all. I couldn't find a current thread on this so I figured Id ask. I drew the E postcard hunt coming up next weekend for Richland Creek south/trinity unit. My question for anyone with experience there is what type of blind should I bring? I have pop-ups and a climber. I just didn't know if a climber was even worth bringing not knowing the typical trees found there. Any help is appreciated.

Pm Sent

Comment

I took a one man ladder stand last year and it worked fine. I ended up using a ground blind I made from dead fall and liked it better. A climber should work fine. Lots of tall oaks.

Make sure of your target. They are very specific on what type of deer they want shot and last year there were two guys who shot deer that didnt meet those standards. They both got to have a conversation with the game warden.

Here is a youngster that I had walk within 5 yards of the blind I built.

Congrats on the draw and good luck. It's a special place.
      Attached Files

Comment

We always had good luck on the North section (across the highway) with ground blinds. A lot of deer in this WMA.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
          I took a one man ladder stand last year and it worked fine. I ended up using a ground blind I made from dead fall and liked it better. A climber should work fine. Lots of tall oaks.

Make sure of your target. They are very specific on what type of deer they want shot and last year there were two guys who shot deer that didnt meet those standards. They both got to have a conversation with the game warden.

Here is a youngster that I had walk within 5 yards of the blind I built.

Congrats on the draw and good luck. It's a special place.

Thanks for the info! In regards to “specific” deer is it a certain age class or more strict antler restrictions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mhunter6 View Post
            Hello all. I couldn't find a current thread on this so I figured Id ask. I drew the E postcard hunt coming up next weekend for Richland Creek south/trinity unit. My question for anyone with experience there is what type of blind should I bring? I have pop-ups and a climber. I just didn't know if a climber was even worth bringing not knowing the typical trees found there. Any help is appreciated.

It’s a great hunt and I’ve hunted both units several times, i may try for standby myself
            Bring the climber
            Lots of good trees to get up in
            I have a place right down the road
            Bucks are still in bachelor groups and should be pretty easy to pattern
            Will start to change pretty quick though and the weather is looking good for next wknd and the following week
            Im up here now and it feels like summer but it was nice on the lake the last two days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Man this hunt has been rough. It’s hot and dry. I’m here now. From what I was told one doe has been taken total out of the north and south units. That’s 55 hunters over a week. And somebody fell out of a treestand yesterday and had to be flown to the hospital. The next hunt will probably be a lot better with some rain and cooler weather coming. I saw one shooter and a couples of smaller bucks, a few does and a bunch of pigs(shot and lost one).

This year they switched to having 4 units and splitting the hunters up to keep it more evenly distributed for the archery hunts. They’ll let you pick your unit based on draw order.

Comment

Thanks for the info! In regards to “specific” deer is it a certain age class or more strict antler restrictions?

Inside spread has to be outside of the ears so basically a 15” minimum spread rule. Spikes are legal too. They go over it in detail at orientation.

Comment

They want mature deer with at least 15” spread. Outside their ears.

Comment

[emoji2962][emoji51]
                    Day 8 of 10 and only 1 doe harvested out of 55 total hunters. They must not be very hungry!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

It will change next week, the cooler air and it’s just that time around here. I pulled cards here at my place yesterday and I can already see the bigger bucks are not hitting the feeders as regularly as they were and thats since just last Sunday. That place is generally on fire the last week of October

Good luck to you guys there are some monsters on that property

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Any chance someone could post the breakdown of the compartments?

Wish they would have left it a free for all

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          Any chance someone could post the breakdown of the compartments?

Wish they would have left it a free for all
                          Perhaps, voice your opinion on the back of the check in cards and verbally to the staff.

The compartents was apparently due to previous hunters complaining about the high rate of atv/utv traffic. I can see that to an extent, especially during 7-10am or 6pm- dark. Only inconsiderate dummies will travel at those hours, for non emergencies.

I can also see it being beneficial, as less atv traffic is helpful especially during prime morning/evening hunts.(albeit the traffic gets deer bumped around sometimes, but no one wants an atv driving up on their set)

I think the walk in area(no atvs) compartment is sufficient enough for the previous complainers. It's each hunters option, why limit others. If you hunt in an atv compartment, plan on seeing/hearing traffic and prep for that.

If you don't want atv traffic, stay in the walk in only compartment.

It could be very beneficial![emoji851] Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Will do! Handicapping people takes from the experience.

Finally draw a place…

Use time, resources and past experience to put yourself in a chance for success….. and not be able to hunt it….

If someone gets to me and rides by…. They earned that right. But I’ll bet it won’t be many, if any

Comment

I still had people driving an atv through my area several times this week just after legal shooting light and had deer and hogs in front of me and they didnt pay any attention to it. But I wasnt hunting a road or within 200 yards of a road. I was in my stand 45-60 min bf legal shooting time.

Last Friday after getting set up where I wanted to hunt I drove around the back of unit 3(my unit) bc i was going to check out another area that i had never scouted before. I drove right through the middle of somebody’s hunting setup. Right on a road with 50 pounds of corn, some apple crush and a mineral block right there in the middle of the road. So I can see how those guys might be ****** about people riding around lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X