Trad guys: Longbow arrow flight help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad guys: Longbow arrow flight help

Trying to tune arrows for my 40# Bear Montana. I've got 200 grains up front and have trimmed off 1/4" pieces about 5 times.

Am I looking at weak spine or just the arrow coming off the shelf and then straightening out? Should I keep trimming?

Thanks.

First video is slo-mo.

Second video is super slo-mo

Last edited by Chew; 09-25-2021, 12:57 PM.

Are you shooting 500 spine arrows?

Comment

Yes. 500 spine, 50 gr insert, 150 gr head

Comment

Do you have any 125 gr heads you can try?

Comment

No. I'm stuck with 150 grain broadheads and 150 grain field tips. Would cutting the arrow down make the spine stiffer
          Last edited by Chew; 09-25-2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
            No. I'm stuck with 150 grain broadheads and 150 grain field tips. Wooden cutting the arrow down make the spine stiffer
            Yes - still have plenty of room to trim?

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              Yes - still have plenty of room to trim?
              Yes...but before I cut...I was making sure what I was seeing was weak spine or do all arrows come off the bow like that and then straighten up. I have plenty of room to cut if that is showing weak spine. Pretty new to this.

Comment

Need more info. What is your actual draw length? Is the Montana cut to center? What is your brace height?
                With a longbow your actual draw is usually considerable shorter than with a compound. If it was me, with my 27 1/2" draw, I would be shooting 600 spine arrows with 125 or so grain heads.

Comment

Of course, it could also be your form or release.
                  I chased arrow spine and tuning for years until I discovered that it was my form that was causing erratic flight. Another thing is that I found that my dynamic draw length was less than my static draw length (and most people's are).

Comment

Hopefully the experts will chime in, but it looks like a left kick to me - more than just the shaft flexing around the riser.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                      Hopefully the experts will chime in, but it looks like a left kick to me - more than just the shaft flexing around the riser.
                      That's what I'm thinking. I just trimmed another 1/4" inch and it seems to be getting a little better.

Comment

Pick up some 75,100,125,150,175 field points. If lighter point works better, than trimming arrow wont fix it.
                        I keep a set just for tuning. When you can shoot them, one right after another it starts to make better sense.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                          Pick up some 75,100,125,150,175 field points. If lighter point works better, than trimming arrow wont fix it.
                          I keep a set just for tuning. When you can shoot them, one right after another it starts to make better sense.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
                          So do you think this a spine issue or something else?

Comment

Ill wager spine weak but not far. Consistent flight. Consecutive shots would provide more evidence. Front node is to the right of the rear node on a right handed bow. Weak by a **** hair.
                            Not so much a left kick as a right lead. It didnt tail whip back and forth wildly. Just a normal paradox…but a hair on a gnats *** weak.

I may be wrong.

I dont think any length and spine deflection arrow build data has been posted…
                            In order to suppose a WAG.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                              So do you think this a spine issue or something else?
                              I think it is spine, but making small adjustment is hard to tell when you haven't been shooting trad very long. When I first started it was always something else when I shot. Heck, I never tuned a good set of arrows until I got decent with the bad ones. I never could figure out if it was me or what. When I finally did get some arrows tuned, it made a world of difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X