High FOC Arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High FOC Arrows

Hey everybody, I’ve been seeing more and more talk about High FOC arrows. I know the Hunting Public, Ranch Fairy, Traditional Bowhunting and Wilderness Podcast are running those setups. I wanted to see if anyone else ran a high FOC setup and would be willing to chime in on the pros and cons they have experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s your FOC now?

If you can get them tuned correctly then all you get are pros, with the only con being you’ll likely have a bit more drop in your arrow flight.

For a compound bow if your FOC is between 12-15 and hunting North American game you’re fine. Now if you want higher FOC it will only help.

Comment

IDK but I watched the hunting public the other day and those guys were slinging arrows everywhere (missing) first time watching them.

Comment

Originally posted by RUNNING BEAR View Post
        What’s your FOC now?

If you can get them tuned correctly then all you get are pros, with the only con being you’ll likely have a bit more drop in your arrow flight.

For a compound bow if your FOC is between 12-15 and hunting North American game you’re fine. Now if you want higher FOC it will only help.

I’m not currently running super high FOC arrows like the ranch fairy. I’m pretty new to archery, and asked my local shop if they would set me up with a high FOC setup. He said that I don’t necessarily need one in Texas for whitetail. I don’t understand that though, if the customer wants something why wouldn’t you do what they want? Anyways, Im just going to run with what I have this season and get a new setup next year. What kind of setup are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by CB_TxNole View Post
          IDK but I watched the hunting public the other day and those guys were slinging arrows everywhere (missing) first time watching them.

Are you talking about that pronghorn hunt? Ya Ted was slinging arrows all over the place, but he had the wrong yardage on that really bad shot. But if you watch most of their videos, they get pass throughs most of the time and the deer die at 50 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by mattkwebb View Post
            Are you talking about that pronghorn hunt? Ya Ted was slinging arrows all over the place, but he had the wrong yardage on that really bad shot. But if you watch most of their videos, they get pass throughs most of the time and the deer die at 50 yards.

Yeah it was pronghorn. That long hair guy missed two times as well. Just made me think about that when I saw your post. Sorry not trying to change the topic or anything lol

Comment

Originally posted by CB_TxNole View Post
              Yeah it was pronghorn. That long hair guy missed two times as well. Just made me think about that when I saw your post. Sorry not trying to change the topic or anything lol

Ya idk what was up with that pronghorn hunt. I know they don’t claim to be experts in archery or get too into bows and stuff, but mostly they have made pretty good and ethical shots. I guess they just were mad at those pronghorns slipping away [emoji23]

Comment

Hey everybody, I’ve been seeing more and more talk about High FOC arrows. I know the Hunting Public, Ranch Fairy, Traditional Bowhunting and Wilderness Podcast are running those setups. I wanted to see if anyone else ran a high FOC setup and would be willing to chime in on the pros and cons they have experienced.

Podcasts and YouTube, what would we do without them…..

[emoji1662]

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                  Podcasts and YouTube, what would we do without them…..

[emoji1662]

I have no earthly idea. My dad wasn’t an outdoorsman, and I got tired of relying on others around me to teach me so that is how I learned how to hunt! I think they are great resources, but there is no better way to learn then experience. I’m hoping to hunt a lot more this year. I wasn’t able to hunt at all last year because of nursing school and I was diagnosed with cancer at the start of the season. Now I’m cancer free and done with my schooling, so I’ll have a lot more opportunities to get out in the woods. Hoping I’ll get lucky, but it’s just a blessing to be able to get outdoors.

Comment

What does the green screen consider "high" foc?

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
                      What does the green screen consider "high" foc?

What do you mean by the green screen?

But my understanding was high FOC was above 15%?

Comment

Remember when we used to beat the fixed blade vs mechanical horse to pieces?

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          Remember when we used to beat the fixed blade vs mechanical horse to pieces?

No, I’m relatively new to bow hunting, and just joined a few days ago. My thing with mechanicals vs fixed, is the same thing with anything else. With more moving parts, there are more opportunities for failure. When they work they are great but it adds more points of failure.

Comment

No, I’m relatively new to bow hunting, and just joined a few days ago. My thing with mechanicals vs fixed, is the same thing with anything else. With more moving parts, there are more opportunities for failure. When they work they are great but it adds more points of failure.

I was just being a smart ***.
                            There are a lot of threads on it, a lot of back and forth discussing (read arguing).
                            Bottom line is you need to figure out what you need. If you are going out west for elk and mule deer at long range you may want or need something different than deer at your feeder 20 yards away here in Texas.
                            If you go hunt Cape or Water buffalo you may want something totally different.
                            Lots of great videos and information out there. But there aren't any shortcuts if you want to do it right.
                            You'll need to invest time and money into building different arrow setups, tuning and seeing what they do for you at the ranges you'll hunt.
                            Trajectory, relative penetration, wind drift and accuracy all need to be considered for what you want to do.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                              I was just being a smart ***.
                              There are a lot of threads on it, a lot of back and forth discussing (read arguing).
                              Bottom line is you need to figure out what you need. If you are going out west for elk and mule deer at long range you may want or need something different than deer at your feeder 20 yards away here in Texas.
                              If you go hunt Cape or Water buffalo you may want something totally different.
                              Lots of great videos and information out there. But there aren't any shortcuts if you want to do it right.
                              You'll need to invest time and money into building different arrow setups, tuning and seeing what they do for you at the ranges you'll hunt.
                              Trajectory, relative penetration, wind drift and accuracy all need to be considered for what you want to do.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Oh I wasn’t getting snappy! That’s why I hate texting, you can’t put tone into it lol. But thanks, you hit the nail on the head. Ya I guess I just need to dive in the deep end and just get my hands messy. I’m a little intimidated because I’m new to the archery game, but you have to start somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X