Bow Spider Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow Spider Review

Some of y'all on the green screen have been wondering if bow spiders are worth it. I got one back in february and have used it on a few local hunts and also on CO elk hunt last week. Even though we never got a chance to shoot, I was really impressed with it on the elk hunt!

We backpack hunted 6 days and went through some rough terrain. Having the ability to store your bow and have it be secured while bushwhacking through thick undergrowth was great. Of course you can just hold your bow in your hand, but that can be difficult and potentially dangerous on rough terrain if you fall or drop your bow to catch yourself. Also, carrying a 5+ lb bow in your hand all day will wear you down after a while.

There's lots of ways to mount the bow spider receiver so that you can have your bow where you want it. I ran it in 3 spots during my elk hunt- on the lower half of my shoulder strap, on the backpacks hip belt, and on the back of the backpack. Ended up using it on the back of the backpack most often just because the weight is better distributed back there compared to having it on your hip or shoulder all the time. However, if you buy multiple of the receiver, you could have one on your back and another on your shoulder or hip for even more versatility.

Once you get your bow "holstered" in the bow spider receiver, it is locked in and does not come out unless you intentionally "unholster" your bow. After practicing holstering / unholstering with wherever you have the bow spider set up, you can have your bow in shooting position in under 5 seconds, quietly, with one hand. That definitely beats having to take your pack off to unbuckle your bow from it or having it in sling!

The only struggle I had is that it was kind of cumbersome to holster and unholster my bow when the bow spider was on the back of my pack. Whenever I would holster / unholster my bow, the receiver would rotate some because the straps I had didn't keep it snug. Although this was more because I didnt have the materials in the field with me to really cinch it down well so that the receiver couldnt twist or rotate.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone doing a multi-day backpack hunt or hiking for a day hunt. If you can, get 2 bow spider receivers so that you have different storage options rigged up at the same time for different situations. Best bow accessory I've ever bought!

Nice review. Thanks! I had been considering the Bow Spider. Your review helped!

Comment

Been looking at them. I definitely got tired of carrying my bow in my hand on hunt in Raton NM couple weeks ago.

Comment

Neat concept. For someone that likes to tinker, I can see some DIY possibilities, that might be quite a bit cheaper, and just as functional.

Comment

Working...
        X