Quest for AR guru's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quest for AR guru's

I'm looking to buy an AR-10, primarily to hunt pigs, shooting suppressed. I probably won't use it more than a half dozen times in a year but I tend to prefer to pay for better quality, within reason.

I'm considering this one from Windham Weaponry but it is about $400 - $600 higher than other models and brands that I've seen. I don't know a lot about AR's so I'm curious as to what bells and whistles it has versus cheaper models and whether they are worth the extra money?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...to+rifle+308+w
    Last edited by Plain Lucky; 07-29-2021, 10:16 AM.

Are you specifically looking for a 308 in AR configuration?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have never had a problem with the two AR10's I have from Palmetto State. They go on sale for $1050. I got one in 6.5 CM and in 243. Both are accurate and never had an issue. With that said, get the one you want as a complete rifle because AR10 are not like legos like an AR15 is where you can mix and match a bunch of different manufacturers components. Components are not as interchangable as an AR15.

Comment

doesn't look like it has any extra bells & whistles. if you want that model, shop around and you can find it about $200 cheaper than the buds price.

Are you sure you want a AR10? AR15's in grendel or one of the other popular hog killin calibers can be much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
          I have never had a problem with the two AR10's I have from Palmetto State. They go on sale for $1050. I got one in 6.5 CM and in 243. Both are accurate and never had an issue. With that said, get the one you want as a complete rifle because AR10 are not like legos like an AR15 is where you can mix and match a bunch of different manufacturers components. Components are not as interchangable as an AR15.
          I have a Gen 2 in 308 and it runs good as well.

OP, go to Palmetto's website. They appear to have several different models in stock, some of which are under $1000.

Comment

Psa are hard to beat for the money. LMT are very nice but you pay for it.

Comment

I know that Windham makes good firearms. Having said that for the money you would think it would come with more than a $20 carbine stock.

Comment

If it’s mainly for pigs I’d go with PSA

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                  Are you sure you want a AR10? AR15's in grendel or one of the other popular hog killin calibers can be much cheaper.
                  Ditto... There are several AR15 sizes that will do a great job on hogs suppressed. Are you thinking of shooting supers or subs suppressed?

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                    Ditto... There are several AR15 sizes that will do a great job on hogs suppressed. Are you thinking of shooting supers or subs suppressed?
                    x3

Comment

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post
                      x3
                      X4

You can save quite a bit of money by staying within the AR15 platform. 6.5 Grendel is a pig killing round for sure. The extra power of the AR10 is nice but it sure does suck toting that heavy thing around especially if you are adding a can to it.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                        I will jump on board with this, as well. My preferred gun for hogs (out of the ones I have) would be the AR15 with a 300 Blackout upper. I have both 5.56 and 300 Blackout barrels which are easily interchangeable. With that said, the 5.56 works well on hogs too and its a lot cheaper to shoot.

I have a PSA ("AR10") in 6.5 Creedmoor. I like it, but it is heavy. Its pretty accurate for a semi auto. I had an ejection issue early, but I sent it back and they fixed it (no cost to me at all). So, I'm happy with the customer service at PSA and would recommend them anyone.

Comment

Building one right now. 100% Aero parts (except the barrel) and without optics, I will be at around 1200... I would not build one again, two many style specific parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                            X4

You can save quite a bit of money by staying within the AR15 platform. 6.5 Grendel is a pig killing round for sure. The extra power of the AR10 is nice but it sure does suck toting that heavy thing around especially if you are adding a can to it.
                            I don't really plan to shoot subsonic. I know the 300 blackout is the choice to do that but other than caliber, why else does whether I plan to shoot subsonic matter?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have an AR15 and hadn't really considered another one in a larger caliber or an upper in a different caliber. I didn't realize the AR10 is considerably heavier. The AR15 in a 6.5 or 300BO are sounding like the better options.

Comment

300 blackout sucks. If you’re gonna go bigger than a 223 go grendel or SPC or just go AR10.

Comment

Working...
                              X