I wonder......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder......

Why companies don't offer a deal where they'll buy empty hulls and casings even for 1/4 of the cost they spend on brand new ones? I thought about that after dove huntin and seeing how many hulls we just throw in the garbage. I just figured that'd be a cost efficient way for companies to not have to buy brand new hulls and casings to load. Just thinking out loud. Might be a dumb idea but it sounded smart in my mind.

Quality control and liability?

Comment

Most dove hunters I know grab the cheapest box of shells they can find and buy lots of them.

All the cheap hulls crush when crimped. I got tired of sorting hulls when I loaded shotshells.

Comment

Shooting ranges make a ton off of brass, lead and copper already. Alpine gun range has reclaimers fighting over the contract to salvage the lead shot. Some of the lead shot is re-used as is and is filtered for size and resold. Shot shell hulls especially AA are saved, sorted and resold. Copper is, well copper and is like gold. Alpine folks told me they typically reclaim between 20 and 30 tons of lead and copper each year. Big bucks!

Comment

Several places on-line that sell once fired hulls of several types and brands. Goldmedal, STS, and AA being the most popular and common for very reasonable prices for the reloader. Those that Reload steel know the value in hulls as well.

As for centerline brass, most people that are into accuracy or high volume shooting know the value of brass as well.

All this is what got me in to reloading.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
          Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-20-2021, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Quality control and liability?
            Could be. But I figure with quality ammunition they could do it and categorise it as reloaded ammunition kind of like some companies offer blem bullets and stuff. Of course they'd probably have to have some kind of disclaimer if they did that to cover their butt just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
              Could be. But I figure with quality ammunition they could do it and categorise it as reloaded ammunition kind of like some companies offer blem bullets and stuff. Of course they'd probably have to have some kind of disclaimer if they did that to cover their butt just in case.
              There are companies all around doing it. I have bought a lot of 5.56 from https://dallasreloads.com/. All the brass is LC once fired but it shoots as good as the AR is capable of.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                There are companies all around doing it. I have bought a lot of 5.56 from https://dallasreloads.com/. All the brass is LC once fired but it shoots as good as the AR is capable of.
                Well I knew it was a pretty good idea. I'm a pretty sharp guy sometimes. I just think of stuff other people thought about apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                  Most dove hunters I know grab the cheapest box of shells they can find and buy lots of them.

All the cheap hulls crush when crimped. I got tired of sorting hulls when I loaded shotshells.
                  That's true I never thought about the quality of the hulls. But I figured some of the better ones they could reload and save some money even buying them back from people that used their product. I didn't put a lot of thought into it I just thought of it on a whim sort of.

Comment

Working...
                  X