What can I add to my fall oat plots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I typically no till drill 10-15 acres of oats every fall. I’ll broadcast clover and then drill the oats. I’d like to add another seed variety that can be drilled with the oats at the same soil depth for plant variety. Any ideas on what I should add?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by yotethumper; 08-15-2021, 12:43 PM.

Chicory
    Elbon Rye or Wheat
    Purple Top Turnips
    Daikon Radish

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
      Chicory
      Elbon Rye or Wheat
      Purple Top Turnips
      Daikon Radish
      This, except turnips, I’ve never had deer eat turnips. YMMV. Last year I planted daikon radish with my wheat. They loved it ! They were eating it under the snow……
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        This, except turnips, I’ve never had deer eat turnips. YMMV. Last year I planted daikon radish with my wheat. They loved it ! They were eating it under the snow……
        Deer don’t eat our turnips either but they look cool and do great things for the soil

Comment

I planted daikon radish in states without hogs, was worried about planting radish varieties in Texas with the hogs. Worried they’d root up my fields. So far they haven’t rooted my clover/oat fields but they certainly graze the oats. Im in desperate need of organic matter so I may give it a shot.

Comment

Brassica of some sort. Radish, Rape, Collards, any should do well. Rape makes a smaller tuber, so it may not be as attractive to the hogs.

Comment

Whatever TXDot plants along the roadside throughout the hill country.

Comment

Wheat. No doubt. Wheat

Comment

I agree with everything above. I'll be specific. 50 lbs each of wheat oats and elbon rye. This may need to be adjusted to the fertility of your soil, how big your plots are and deer density.
                  2 lbs/acre chicory
                  3 lbs acre daikon radish
                  1 lb acre ptturnips---yep deer may be slow to this but good for the soil and in some years at some time they will go to them.

Put the chicory radishes and turnips in the small seed box if you have one

I cant imagine a field like this without crimson clover in it as well. The gift that keeps on giving. 10-15 lbs/acre of crimson depending on what you do with your plots in the summer.You will have it for years to come and it extends the quality forage thru April

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                    I agree with everything above. I'll be specific. 50 lbs each of wheat oats and elbon rye. This may need to be adjusted to the fertility of your soil, how big your plots are and deer density.
                    2 lbs/acre chicory
                    3 lbs acre daikon radish
                    1 lb acre ptturnips---yep deer may be slow to this but good for the soil and in some years at some time they will go to them.

Put the chicory radishes and turnips in the small seed box if you have one

I cant imagine a field like this without crimson clover in it as well. The gift that keeps on giving. 10-15 lbs/acre of crimson depending on what you do with your plots in the summer.You will have it for years to come and it extends the quality forage thru April

Awesome info! Thank you much. I’ll incorporate this for sure. Side note: have followed your threads for years, good luck this season!

Comment

Wheat for sure!

And no more than 1/2 pound per acre of purple top turnips… no more. 1/4 would do also

Comment

Working...
                      X