No announcement yet.

JM Ranch - The Family Has a Ranch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In laws had a place in Fayetteville for years. Love that area. Shot a little spike my first bow buck there in 1991. Great golf at The Falls if they have opened that back up.

Comment

I’d like to drill in some radish and oats into a hayfield and pasture. Not a lot, only 5 acres. Anyone know of anyone in the Columbus or Freiburg area I can pay to do that? I don’t have a drill. They can either bring their drill and tractor or they can bring a drill and use our tractor. Whatever they prefer. I can also buy the seed and have it ready for them. If y’all know of anyone that might do this I’d like to get in touch with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Beautiful place, good luck this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
          Beautiful place, good luck this year.

Thank you! Likewise

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
            I’d like to drill in some radish and oats into a hayfield and pasture. Not a lot, only 5 acres. Anyone know of anyone in the Columbus or Freiburg area I can pay to do that? I don’t have a drill. They can either bring their drill and tractor or they can bring a drill and use our tractor. Whatever they prefer. I can also buy the seed and have it ready for them. If y’all know of anyone that might do this I’d like to get in touch with them.

Curious of your mix. I was at Dudensing the other day and he talked me into it but im going to put out so Rye also.

I dont have a drill though. Going to broadcast and disc in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
              Curious of your mix. I was at Dudensing the other day and he talked me into it but im going to put out so Rye also.

I dont have a drill though. Going to broadcast and disc in.

Is it rye or cereal rye? I wouldn’t waste your time if it’s not cereal rye. Mix is going to be oats/red clover/white clover/radish.

Comment

Is it rye or cereal rye? I wouldn’t waste your time if it’s not cereal rye. Mix is going to be oats/red clover/white clover/radish.

I dont know. Still kind of new to the food plot deal. Does cereal rye get taller or something?

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                  I dont know. Still kind of new to the food plot deal. Does cereal rye get taller or something?
                  This article does a great job explaining the differences and benefits of cereal rye https://www.qdma.com/cereal-rye-deer...real%20grains.

Comment

Had a hard time finding seed but ended up drilling oats and clover about a month ago. Finally got some rain this past weekend, 2.5". Should really help the oats shoot up.

Haven't hunted much this season, FIL passed away second week of archery season and MIL has stage 4 cancer. I got in a quick hunt over the holiday weekend though, target buck cruised through. He busted his rack so hoping the neighbors will give him another year. He will get passes from me all year as he is young and broken up.

I noticed that the does have bunched up into large groups this year, 7-12 does in a group. In years past, there would be smaller groups with 3-5 does.
                    Last edited by yotethumper; 11-30-2020, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Its been a weird year for sure. We’ve actually had more deer on camera this year, but as usual mainly at night time. Im hoping the ‘extra’ deer will stick around for years to come. I finally got ours started on protein so im hopeful that will help them stay close.

Sorry to hear about your in laws.

Comment

Did not get a big buck again this year but had a good season regardless. I've pretty much given up on this property producing mature bucks with the current layout and neighbor situation.

Have way too many does. Counted 29 different does in one morning. I wish the state would let me take 20 in one season, that'd really help. The does just pour into the oat field from all directions like roaches.

On one morning sit, I shot two coyotes and a bobcat within 10 minutes of each other around 10AM, was unexpected. I was deer hunting and was not calling.

Took my cousin out twice for his first hunts ever. I told him to buy a license and we'd get busy so that's what he did. He got two coyotes the first hunt, we were predator hunting and calling. After that hunt, he wanted to try and get a doe. The second hunt he got a hog and a doe while deer hunting only took an hour. I assured him he was spoiled and it's rarely that easy or lucky. Taught him how to field dress and quarter. The doe was blind in one eye, wonder what caused that. Maybe he'll end up catching the bug and be a hunting buddy, hadn't had a hunting buddy since moving to Texas four years ago.

Oats came up great this year, family fertilized the field last week and the current fertilizer prices hurt. We got a good cut on the oats after season for hay. At one point I counted 21 does and young bucks in the oat patch hammering the oats in the snow, it was a great hunt but didn't bother pulling the trigger.

Figured I'd continue taking new hunters out so I purchased a rest for the blinds to try and keep nervous green hunters from wounding game.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by yotethumper; 05-13-2021, 10:29 AM.

Comment

I have had a tough time finding cotton seed in the area. When I do find it, its bagged and more expensive than protein. I have one protein feeder but would like to have cotton seed stations if I could find it at a reasonable bulk price.
                          Plant soybeans. Cut out a section of your pasture and make it off limits to everything and grow some different stuff.

Not sure of you level of managing for deer and turkeys but I'd like to recommend this site. www.growingdeer.tv Dr. Woods is great educator and whitetail guru.

Comment

Working...
                          X