Old powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old powder

I was given some old (early 70's) powder. Its in 1# metal cans still sealed up. I opened the seal on one of them and it looks and smells just like any of the current powders I have on hand. Would you use it? IMR4350
    Last edited by mkk; 01-22-2022, 09:11 PM.

Old powder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mkk; 01-22-2022, 09:07 PM.

Comment

What do you know about it's history? Where and how it was stored, etc...

Comment

I bought a bunch of powder in 1973, I mean a bunch of it and I'm still using it, no problems. Most is in 5# cans but much of it is i cans just like you show there.

Comment

Old powder

Originally posted by JuDGe View Post
          What do you know about it's history? Where and how it was stored, etc...

Came from a friends dad, it has been stored inside

Comment

Originally posted by mkk View Post
            I was given some old (early 70's) powder. Its in 1# metal cans still sealed up. I opened the seal on one of them and it looks and smells just like any of the current powders I have on hand. Would you use it? IMR4350
            If you were the original seal breaker Yes!

Comment

Remove top and do 2 things …. carefully smell the contents. If it smells strong like ammonia it’s bad. Pour some out to see if it’s clumped together. Is so, another sign it could be bad. I discard of old, bad powder in the yard.

Comment

Originally posted by mkk View Post
                Came from a friends dad, it has been stored inside
                I would try it but I would be sure to work up a new load slowly and not recycle data.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                  Remove top and do 2 things …. carefully smell the contents. If it smells strong like ammonia it’s bad. Pour some out to see if it’s clumped together. Is so, another sign it could be bad. I discard of old, bad powder in the yard.
                  I did what you described, poured it out next to some current I4350 and couldn't tell the difference

Comment

If it was sealed in metal cans in good shape and stored inside it will be ok

Comment

Load a few and see.

Comment

I'm still using up some powders that I bought back in the 70's. It does get a tiny bit drier so weight compared to volume changes slightly.

Comment

When I started I inherited some bullseye that was old old. Broke the seal, sight and smell checked out fine and I loaded it up. Zero issues.

If it looks right and smells right, I’d send it without hesitation. Just be aware that recipes may have changed a smidge over the years, so don’t work up a load with the older stuff and roll right into a new bottle with the same data. Same for a new powder to old powder. Back off a smidge and make sure everything jives before you load a lot with a new bottle. Odds are it will be fine, but better safe than sorry.

Comment

I would try it on a few rounds.

Comment

If it has been stored correctly as said above, it should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X