X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep round bales out to help with pasture and I have 30 acres

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
      Picture yourself pissin in 100 mph head wind. The results are gonna be the same.

Comment

Best of luck to you!

Comment

Don’t even waste your time. You’re going to need to completely lay off of whatever you might plant for at least a year, and once it is established you aren’t going to be able to leave animals for any extended time. You need a bigger place or less critters.

Comment

Worst kind of animal to have on pasture! They absolutely ruin a place. Nipping everything off at ground level...good luck!

Comment

It is true you will need to keep em off of bermuda till its established. But it is an excellent grass nutritionally and handles high traffic well. Of course, as you know, 1 ac will not feed them full time. Will need to regulate their use of it.

Rye grass is excellent for the cool season. Very high protein. But it is delicate. Once established it grows quickly. I have never seen a horse not eat ryegrass unless it is high and very mature.

I recommend that you decide on bermuda later. Doesnt matter right now. Plant the ryegrass and keep them off of it. Mow your existing grass low and broadcast directly. No need to disc or otherwise disturb the ground unless it is completely covered thick by orgsnic matter etc tht will prevent seed contact. Do that as soon as you have decent moisture.

Comment

Also, there is no bermuda I am aware of that is particularly good that you can plant by seed. Those are turf grass varieties. Its fine but will.grow lower and slower. The good varieties are hybrids and usually planted with sprigs. This requires timing of moisture and ground prep. ( ie work and money )

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                  for the winter time Bermuda wont grow too cold on N TX. Rye - most horses don't like it.
                  Probably just plan on weekly trips to TSC
                  Round bale lasts me almost 2 months so far and. 55 gallon drum of feed from Burleson fedd mill last jist about a month between goats and horses not to bad at all

Comment

For Winter oats or beardless wheat .You can plant giant bermuda from seed.

Comment

First, what everyone is telling you is even though you rotate, you are way overgrazing. Nothing you plant will keep up with that pressure unless....

you are only grazing for a couple of hours a day.

If that's the case, now is the time to plant cool season forages. Plant your warm seasons in March-April.

Comment

Troy, what were you thinking? You might as well dig a hole and throw money down it for what it will cost to feed and care for large pets.

Comment

Working...
                        X