Road trip to Tennessee (Must Do's)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road trip to Tennessee (Must Do's)

We are planning on taking a road trip to Nashville in late July. We had originally planned on flying but have now decided to make it into a 7 day road trip vacation. It will be me and the wife plus our two teenage kids (18 and 16). We have a general idea of places we want to go and see. Are there any places that the greenscreen can recommend either in Tennessee or perhaps on the road to and from. Also, any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Following this. We are headed up that way in about 2 weeks. Going to make it a 10 day trip. Going to the Smoky Mountains as well.

Comment

We did a Christmas trip to Pigeon Forge this past year and it was not for me. The mountains and the cabin we were in were beautiful, but that area is way too crowded with shopping and tourist for my taste.

Comment

The downtown of Franklin has some neat shops and places to eat. Nice town to walk around for an afternoon. Beautiful country out there.

Comment

Headed out for Nashville Monday on a jet plane.

Comment

I'm heading there 6/13 thru 6/24. My parents and sister live there and lived there from 94-2006.

We're doing Gatlinburg and Center Hill Lake and some hiking around the local waterfalls. Around Nashville proper, Broadway is busy and full of tourists (if that's your thing) but there are plenty of good places to eat and visit all over town. Franklin is nice as well as someone else mentioned.

If you're driving, make sure you check on the I40 bridge status when crossing from Arkansas to Tennessee, they've been re-routing due to the bridge being shut down.

Comment

Lots of Nashville threads on here. But don't miss eating at BoJangles

Comment

Memphis is a cool city. Graceland, Beale St, Civil Rights Muesum and the Bass Pro Pyramide

Comment

If you like to hike, the fiery gizzard trail is about an hour 45 outside of Nashville (towards chattanooga) and is an awesome hike. Listed as top 25 in the country.

Sweet 16th has the best breakfast sandwhich I've ever had. Get there early!

Comment

Twin Arches is a great hike and closer to where you are good hikes
                    Attached Files

Comment

It ain’t for everyone but I don’t miss a stop for down home cookin

Delicious Southern cooking! Home of the best cracklin' cornbread in the world! Since 1965.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        Twin Arches is a great hike and closer to where you are good hikes
                        I killed my first pig just down below the arches in the '70s. I found a really nice arrowhead under the arches when a friend and I hiked up to the arches. At that time the land was under private ownership and a hunting preserve (Parch Corn Creek) was operating. A couple of years after I hunted, the property was taken by the government and made a part of the Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
                          The downtown of Franklin has some neat shops and places to eat. Nice town to walk around for an afternoon. Beautiful country out there.
                          Go to the Carter House and Carnton Plantation at the Battle of Franklin Battlefield, in Franklin, Tennessee. Allow at least a couple of hours, and afterward walk the grounds and imagine what it was like to be there during the Civil War. Go by the cemetery as well. Some Texas boys made sure that all the confederate soldiers the weren't taken back home were buried with identification, if possible. It is well worth the price of the combined admission tickets. Franklin is about 30 minutes south of Nashville. Take the interstate if you are in a hurry. Hwy 31 is a beautiful drive, but so slow during rush hour.

Comment

Originally posted by wildaggie View Post
                            Go to the Carter House and Carnton Plantation at the Battle of Franklin Battlefield, in Franklin, Tennessee. Allow at least a couple of hours, and afterward walk the grounds and imagine what it was like to be there during the Civil War. Go by the cemetery as well. Some Texas boys made sure that all the confederate soldiers the weren't taken back home were buried with identification, if possible. It is well worth the price of the combined admission tickets. Franklin is about 30 minutes south of Nashville. Take the interstate if you are in a hurry. Hwy 31 is a beautiful drive, but so slow during rush hour.
                            X2

Well worth this visit. Also, drive a short distance east and visit Stones River National Battlefield. Both of these places are very moving if you have interest in USA history.

Comment

DO NOT stop in West Memphis, Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                              X