Today January 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today January 28

Marks 36 years since the Challenger Explosion at take off. I still remember where I was when it happened - biology class in Arlington, Texas.

The Challenger

I was walking by a bank of tvs at a Woolworth department store in Las Vegas.

Comment

10th grade geometry class

Comment

I was in First grade sitting in the lunch room when it aired on TV. I remember seeing a few teachers crying and in a panic. Had me going home and asking my parents about it. First time I ever heard, or had the understanding of death. That incident, 9/11, and Covid Pandemic are the craziest things to happen so far in my lifetime.

Comment

Sitting in the marsh killing geese.

Comment

Drinking coffee and working on calculus homework at The Cactus Cafe at the UT Student Union. The launch was showing on a TV.

Comment

My dad showed me a picture of it sitting on the bottom of the ocean and told me they drowned...

Comment

I had no idea until I read that that there was an ice storm at Cape Canaveral that morning.

Comment

i was 10 but still remember. Columbia explosion anniversary is around the corner. 2-1

Comment

I was cutting meat in a meat market. We had the radio play and they cut away to the countdown. I commented that space flight was old hat now. One of the butchers said, "a bunch of them gonna get blown up and it won't be old hat after that ". Literally 30 seconds later it came true.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                      i was 10 but still remember. Columbia explosion anniversary is around the corner. 2-1
                      I was on Lake Monticello fishing with my dad when the Columbia blew up.

Comment

I was in my office on the phone when my shipping clerk walked in and told me what had just happened... At the time, I had pics on my wall of the Challenger in space with the first unthethered "space walk" by a human. Got a real knot in my gut... Was in a similar situation when the Challenger blew up... Same knot... Got that know again on 9/11/01 in the same office...

Comment

I was a senior in high school sitting in Ag class. The crazy thing about it all was we had just watched a film about the Apollo 7 disaster.

Comment

4th grade watching it live.
                            My teacher starting crying when it blew.
                            Back then shuttle launches were something special, and the whole school would stop and watch it.

Comment

I was still waiting another 8 years to be born..

Comment

Working...
                              X