Bleeder blades or no for low poundage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bleeder blades or no for low poundage

My son has his first real bowhunt(deer and hogs) coming up next weekend. He’s shooting 45 pounds at 25” draw. I let him choose the broadheads he wanted to use out of my collection(all extremely sharp cut on contact heads) and he chose to use the Kayuga Pilot Cut heads(a single bevel 2 blade head made in Australia). Anyway, these heads can be used with or without bleeders and then i have standard (5/8”) or wide(1”) bleeders. I’m trying to decide if we should go without bleeders to optimize penetration at his low poundage or go with the standard bleeders. Cutting diameter of the head is 1 3/16” without bleeders. I have no experience shooting animals at this poundage draw weight. What do y’all say? With or without bleeders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say no bleeders. 1&3/16" cut should draw plenty of blood except maybe on jogs. They usually don't bleed much anyway.

Comment

I think he'd be fine either way. My wife has shot a two bucks and a few pigs with the 3 blade exodus and had pass throughs on all but one pig. Heck, she shot through one pig and stuck the arrow into another. She shoots 40 lbs and with a 26 inch draw. Shot placement is key. She is a good shot and very patient. If it's not 20 yards or less and completely broadside or slight quarter away she just won't shoot. I wish your boy luck!

Comment

There's a lot of discussion in the trad world about bleeders vs non and they shoot very low fpe setups. Check out some of the podcasts but bottom line is bleeders do seem to be preferred.

Comment

I would personally leave the bleeders on and let him roll.

Rwc

Comment

thanks for the responses.

I spent a lot of time getting every edge on these heads wicked sharp and got his bow paper tuned and ready to go.

Comment

My gf shoots 45 lbs and hits um with vipertricks which has bleeders. Works well. Hogs and deer

Comment

I bet you won’t see much difference no matter what you decide

Comment

I don't think "bleeder" blades do much personally.

Comment

Don't think it matters, as long as they are sharp and good shot placement. Good luck.

Comment

45 lbs is plenty if he wants to use bleeders. Also gives him a little more cut with marginal shots if he gets a little nervous.

Comment

I think with 45# I’d use bleeders.

Comment

Yes. My dad shoots 26”/50 lbs and shot a stinger buzzcut this year and it zipped right through

Comment

Working...
                          X