Dog training.....opportunity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog training.....opportunity?

With the recent passing of my most recent Police K9 and the departments decision to not replace her and send me back to patrol I'm exploring the possibility of a new line of work for a few years until retirement.

I've had and trained dogs all of my life- mostly labs and lab mixes.

I've been in LE K9 with dual purpose dogs the past 13+ years and had three K9 partners. Training LE K9 is like training the highest drive dogs there are for 8 or 9 different things, all at once. We train about 300 hours a year in building searches, narcotics, obedience, area search, tracking, apprehension, evidence recovery, etc. Losing my last dog was heartbreaking because I always loved a good tracking dog. When I selected her it was based on traits and characteristics I was looking for specifically for a tracking dog. When she died, at 3 (lymphoma cancer), she could track a man across a Sears parking lot. If you are knowledgeable about tracking, that is something almost unheard of LE. She was by far the best man tracker I had seen in my years in LE.

I understand dog training is usually more about training the owners, and I can deal with that.

I'm just testing out the theory now, and looking for people in the north DFW area who might be interested in some advice, help, with problems- no charge to the first few- then if it seems like something I want to pursue maybe start then. Feel free to PM for schedules, and always open to phone conversations with advice if needed.

Thanks
    Troy

So sorry to hear about your pup.

Best of luck with the new gig!

Comment

I've really been thinking about getting into SAR in a few years after I retire but I'm about a year away from having my new property fenced and ready for a dog. When I'm ready I may give you a shout for some help. Thanks and good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
        I've really been thinking about getting into SAR in a few years after I retire but I'm about a year away from having my new property fenced and ready for a dog. When I'm ready I may give you a shout for some help. Thanks and good luck !
        Call me at least a month or so BEFORE you start looking. Very specific traits to look for. If you get your heart set on a dog BEFORE you know those traits you may end up with a so-so dog. Took me three to get it right!

Comment

What kind of training? Have a walker treeing coon hound mix that has some annoying tendencies and I bet could use some training.

Comment

With your experience, you could really build a solid business. It sounds like a strong opportunity, particularly in the large metro area, lots of potential customers with money. Go for it!

Comment

Man I wish you GREAT SUCCESS!! I'd love to have those kind of training skills! I've trained retrievers for many years and thoroughly enjoy it. I could see myself doing something like that professionally in my next (retired) life. Training LE dogs would be top of the line far as I'm concerned!! One thing I don't know if you have considered, but a corollary to training LE dogs could also be training dogs for personal protection. With your background and skill set along with your years of experience and probable contacts, I bet you could build a heck of a client base and business!!

BEST OF LUCK sir!!
              And reading your thread about losing your partner was a heartbreaker for me to read. Sure sorry about that!

Comment

There is company down this way that trains, odor and protection dogs. They work with our K9s guys often for extra work and rookie dogs/handlers

Comment

Wish you were in SA. Have a 7 month old lab who can use more training. Wish you the best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

There is a need for people with your knowledge and background to do training for AKC and NASCW competitors.

Go to a trial and you’ll see 50+ people that need your help. Many of which are willing to pay for it. In addition to training you can judge trials after being certified.

We run our Vizslas in 10+ trials a year and pay for a professional trainer with a similar background to yours.

Comment

Yes. I would follow your heart and start helping people train their dogs for $

Comment

FlyBy

Sorry to hear of the loss of your K9 partner and that the department does not see the value in replacing her. Those dogs are amazing in their ability to help with the bad guys and also can save the life of a young child, officer, or other civilian. Good luck to you. Be sure to preserve your retirement.

Dave

Comment

sorry for the loss of your dog. They get to be family.

I'm on my fifth Malingator, had a jam up female as a working K-9 when I was a GW. Latest is a 14 month old male Malingator who is a full handful. He is very smart and super hardheaded. I turned 70 last month and am too old to fight or run so I am training current dog for protection work.

I could leave my truck unlocked with the windows down in downtown Dallas and NO ONE would bother it with Chief inside. He is VERY protective of whats is his and he has the title on the truck. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
                            There is a need for people with your knowledge and background to do training for AKC and NASCW competitors.

Go to a trial and you’ll see 50+ people that need your help. Many of which are willing to pay for it. In addition to training you can judge trials after being certified.

We run our Vizslas in 10+ trials a year and pay for a professional trainer with a similar background to yours.
                            Who do you use for trainer, somebody in New Braunfels area?

Comment

Sorry for your loss. I'd be happy to send my 9 month old cur mix to keep you company She's more than I can handle right now at 65lbs of extreme drive lap dog. We did 6 weeks of "clicker" training that didn't help at all. I'm putting 1 to 2 hours a day into her but there is nothing I can do to get her tired. She wakes up like she's on speed and it's that way til 10pm

Comment

Working...
                              X