citrus wood for BBQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

citrus wood for BBQ?

after the long frozen 5 days here in Houston, I have now seen alot of dead citrus trees. anyone ever used the wood to cook with? any good?

yes apple cherry peach are my fav.

Comment

Great for pork.

Comment

I've used apricot,pear,and apple..Best smoke flavors ever!

Comment

Cedar too!

Comment

Guys, none of the wood mentioned are citrus. Lol.

Comment

I cut up some decent sized limbs /trunk from my Satsuma tree. I thought about saving it until I noticed that the bark was very moldy and smelled rotten. I decided to throw it away.

Seems like the bark I have seen on most frozen citrus trees turned black and moldy.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                Guys, none of the wood mentioned are citrus. Lol.
                reading comprehension isnt a strong suit of ours.

Comment

Not to derail but where do folks get their bbq in the Houston area (preferably on the west side)? My Lang smoker is being shipped and will be here in the next week.

Comment

Born and raised in FL and had tons of citrus trees around. Orange and lemon give off a mild flavored smoke- worked well for fish. I preferred other wood for pork and beef tho. I found smoking a long time with citrus gives a bit of an acrid flavor.

Comment

Citrus, although approved for smoking is not my GO TO. Apple, Cherry and Peach are my favorites. I NEVER use Cedar....

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        Cedar too!
                        I Never use Cedar to Smoke. I Avoid wood from conifers such as pine, redwood, fir, spruce, cypress, or cedar. These trees contain high levels of sap and terpenes, which results in a funny taste and can make people sick.

Comment

Has anyone ever used persimmon? I have about 8 or 9 big trees that haven't made fruit in about 25 years. I'm wanting to cut them down. I was just going to pile them up and burn them but I started thinking that it may make pretty good smoking wood.

Comment

Great Fire wood place at the corner of 2920 a falvel road; has all types of wood and good prices

Comment

Cherry is really good. Particularly if you're doing Chicken.

Comment

Working...
                              X