How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keep View Post
    First I've seen this thread so i figured I'd chime in.
    I leave for Henry's Fork Idaho on Monday and will return after 7 straight days of fishing. (mostly drift)
    We will be fishing the Henry's fork and South fork, Teton and Madison. Should be a good time.
    Post details!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm searching the web for a guide in Idaho right now. I'm trying to coordinate it with an Oregon Stergon trip.

Comment

Originally posted by klooney View Post
      Well total bust! Momma made me take the baby (almost nine months) and we lasted about 3 casts
      Been there... even with a 4 year old.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        Been there... even with a 4 year old.
        The green bug with legs swims freaking awesome though

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
          I'm probably not the best one to listen to but I use floating line. A weighted fly will pull the tippit down to different depths. So for me a floating line covers everything I do.
          Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
          I work through the water column with floating line by using weighted flies and adjusting the length of the leader.

That being said, I don't have experience using a sinking line... other than letting my floating line get too dirty
          That's what I thought. It's hard to figure some of this stuff out through research, as their is an over abundance of information!

Comment

Originally posted by gonecoastal View Post
            That's what I thought. It's hard to figure some of this stuff out through research, as their is an over abundance of information!
            Yes, yes there is. When I bought my saltwater combo, I called the place that fulfilled the amazon order and the guy on the other end was extremely helpful with answering the exact same question you are asking here. He could have sold me all sorts of leader/line, but advised that I would be successful with the floating line.

I think what is important though is to make sure that you use a warm water saltwater line. During the summer months, the water really warm and a trout line won't hold up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
              Post details!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm searching the web for a guide in Idaho right now. I'm trying to coordinate it with an Oregon Stergon trip.
              We are staying at Henry's Fork lodge when I'm there with my company. Then my BIL will be up Friday and we will fish the 4 rivers I mentioned earlier.
              We are fishing with Henry's Fork Anglers. I fished with them in 2008 and they were awesome. If you look at their website we are fishing the 4 Rivers Special.
              Their guides were unbelievable.

TroutHunter has been helpful as well and I've seen a couple guides that were at Henry's Fork Anglers are now over there.

Comment

Originally posted by klooney View Post
                The green bug with legs swims freaking awesome though
                I like to strip-strip-stop with those and let them sit for 5 to 10 seconds before repeating.

They have been my go to fly out in the hill country/austin areas.

Comment

How many fly fishermen on here.

Nice day on the water (between storms). Put six reds in the boat between 3 of us. Tides still high as expected. Found a few schools. A couple of weeks and it should start to kick off.

Then we took the boat out and drove to POC to relaunch and look for some jacks, Sharks or anything else big and strong.

Found a school of feeding jacks, put a popper in front of one and he exploded on it. After about 20 seconds of the Galvan T10 singing its song. The line went slack. Stripped in the see why.

That is the fourth Time in two days fishing we've lost fish to bad hooks. First three were redfish (hooks that shouldn't have bent, bent, this one the jack broke. Someone has it out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My buddies dad passed away and we made the 10 hour drive to pay our respects. It was sad and awesome to see a 93 year old WWII vet laid to rest. Patriot riders and Marines both showed up. We truly ive in an awesome country.

The service was 15 min from lake meradith so we made the most of a sad situation. Me and my youngest son wore the perch out.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Then we jumped the border into New Mexico and found lake ute. It was the closest body of water to us. Beautiful lake. I'm sitting on the shore right now watching my son catch perch just as fast as he can get the hook in the water.

I got a few myself. It's all little stuff but not bad for making this up as we go along and being on one heck of a time crunch. It's a 20+ hour round trip in 2 1/2 days.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                        Nice day on the water (between storms). Put six reds in the boat between 3 of us. Tides still high as expected. Found a few schools. A couple of weeks and it should start to kick off.

Then we took the boat out and drove to POC to relaunch and look for some jacks, Sharks or anything else big and strong.

Found a school of feeding jacks, put a popper in front of one and he exploded on it. After about 20 seconds of the Galvan T10 singing its song. The line went slack. Stripped in the see why.

That is the fourth Time in two days fishing we've lost fish to bad hooks. First three were redfish (hooks that shouldn't have bent, bent, this one the jack broke. Someone has it out for me.

Man you making me jealous. Yall fishing on Galv Island?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          Man you making me jealous. Yall fishing on Galv Island?
                          Port O'Conner today.

Comment

Worked in another two day trip to Colorado. Landed a Palamino (and a lot of rainbows, cuttys, and white fish).
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CWP View Post
                              Worked in another two day trip to Colorado. Landed a Palamino (and a lot of rainbows, cuttys, and white fish).
                              The best rainbow of the trip.
                              Attached Files

Comment

San Juan Rainbow

Comment

Working...
                                X