No announcement yet.

Minimizing Gun Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. I sold several “factory rifles” and believe in quality over quantity.

Comment

Originally posted by rr 314 View Post
      i have a couple rifles. I am just a minimalist when it comes to ammo.
      🙄😂

Comment

I have 4 bolt action hunting rifles, 6-22’s and 5 shotguns.

I really only shoot two of the rifles anymore and one sees 80% of the use. Only shoot 2 of the .22’s and one sees 75% of the use. Shoot 3 of the shotguns with 2 seeing equal use, the third is only used for ducks. One shotgun I have no intention of ever shooting.

I’m shooting a bow majority of the time now when hunting, not always but when I have a choice I prefer to bowhunt.

I’m probably not going to downsize my inventory but don’t plan on adding anything new either.

Comment

If I sell one, I end up buying two.😂

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
            In recent years, my rifle needs have changed, so I recently changed the lineup and have passed several on to the sons for the grandkids.
            I did the same thing just last week.

Comment

I am going the opposite direction. I have my grandfathers rifles and need to start buying my own. Time to limit the classics use.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                There may come a day in your life or your kids life when guns are harder to get....think politicians. You might wish you hadn't down sized.
                Yep. I very rarely sell anything. I only shoot a few. I have my favorites, and the reality is, I could make do with probably 5 guns total. A bolt action 270, 308 or 30-06, 9mm to 45 cal pistol, 22 rifle, 12ga shotgun and AR style rifle.

That would cover everything, and in fact, with the exception of multiples of the pistol and ARs in several locations, thats pretty much all I actually use the vast majority of the time.

I have guns I havent shot in 20yrs, but wont sell

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                  There may come a day in your life or your kids life when guns are harder to get....think politicians. You might wish you hadn't down sized.
                  Yep, I figure I'll have probably 15 to 20 great grand kids. They'll each need a couple of shotguns, a good rifle and a pistol or two.

Comment

I only increase my armaments, never decrease.

Comment

When I was younger, we always had 50 to upwards of 80 guns. We had very few of the same type of guns, in the collection, we might have three 94s in the family. But one would be a 1930s 30-30, then we had a 32 Win. Special, then a 375 Win, then we had a 348, don't remember which model Winchester that was. We did own quite a few Remington 700s, but in a wide variety of model and caliber 700s. Then we had numerous 1911s over the years of many different brands, models and calibers, the numerous Browning High Powers.

For many years, now, the younger guys hear Glock from the time they are young, onwards. That's all they know about handguns, Glocks and Glock copies. Don't realize there are some much nicer handguns out there, with triggers than no double action only gun can come close to. I will take a worked over S&W revolver over any brand of worked over Glock based gun, any day of the week. I have shot S&W revolvers that have been seriously worked over for competition, that are a F'ing dream to shoot. Shoot something like that for a few hours, then go try shooting a Glock. You will toss the Glock in the nearest garbage can.
                      I mainly hunted deer with my 7mm Rem. Mags. but at times I would use a 700 BDL 22-250 Varminter, then other times my T/C Contender with a 30-30 Super 14 barrel. For small game, it was usually my 9422 that got used. For many years, I only used my Ruger 77 7mm Mag, that gun went through so many changes. Then got replaced by a Ruger Number 1 in 7mm Rem. Mag, which never got used for hunting. Then I got my Sendero in 7mm Rem. Mag. That gun was amazing, all I did was adjust the trigger and work on my loads for that gun, and I had it shooting 3/8" 200 yard groups. I know the gun was more accurate than that, but the extra thick crosshairs in the Kahles 3-12X scope, covered up most of the target at 200 yards. If I had a Leupold with the fine crosshairs, that gun would have shot tighter groups. Once I got that gun, it was my main deer, pig gun. But I still loved to neck shoot deer with the 22-250.

But having so many different guns, when we went to the range or I went to the range by myself. Typically, 15 guns went to the range, and a lot of ammo got burnt up.

As many guns as we had back then, there are still a lot of guns, I have always wanted, never had, or never shot. I have a list of at least 30 guns, that I want to own some day. If I only owned one or two guns, I would be dreaming of someday owning many other guns, that I used to own, or know I really want badly. I really love going to the range and taking 10 to 20 guns, of all types, and a ton of ammo and making a day of it. Then if you have buddies who are the same and have their large collection, they bring a bunch of their guns to the range and you get to try out a numerous guns you have never shot, that can really make for a great day at the range. Then you have more guns to add to your list of guns to buy.

Comment

I just turned 70 and I bet I haven't let 5 guns going my lifetime. I don't use but maybe 3 counting my shotgun anymore and the rest sit in the safe and will stay there until my kids or grandkids take them.

Comment

I now only own .223-5.56, 9mm, .22, 20 and 12 gauge.

Im not a gun collector. I like to shoot and like to stay stocked on ammo. This makes it easy and cheap. If I ever go on a rifle hunt for something that requires a larger caliber I’ll just buy one and probably sell it when I’m done.

I am kind of getting interested in long range at the moment, so may add another caliber in the near future.

Comment

I only hunt with one rifle. I have several I’ve bought through the years that just sit in the safe. I’ll sell one to buy another one or trade. I’m don’t really understand having a giant firearm collection that sits unused. But it’s not my money so I ain’t going to tell nobody how to spend theirs.

Comment

Beware the man with one gun, he knows how to use it 👍

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                                I only hunt with one rifle. I have several I’ve bought through the years that just sit in the safe. I’ll sell one to buy another one or trade. I’m don’t really understand having a giant firearm collection that sits unused. But it’s not my money so I ain’t going to tell nobody how to spend theirs.
                                It’s a savings account that you can play with

Comment

Working...
                                X