Crawfish & shrimp boil tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crawfish & shrimp boil tips

My # 1 granddaughter is graduating high school in a few days, and she asked Pa for a crawfish/shrimp boil for family supper the next day. Sure want to do right by her... any recipes or advice from the green screen? Tonight, mostly trying to figure out lbs per person of crawfish and shrimp. We're thinking about 20 people in all. We'll be in Weatherford area, so probably not live seafood. I'm a Panhandle boy, so, not so experienced in crawdads and shrimp. Thanks

Originally posted by bofos View Post
    My # 1 granddaughter is graduating high school in a few days, and she asked Pa for a crawfish/shrimp boil for family supper the next day. Sure want to do right by her... any recipes or advice from the green screen? Tonight, mostly trying to figure out lbs per person of crawfish and shrimp. We're thinking about 20 people in all. We'll be in Weatherford area, so probably not live seafood. I'm a Panhandle boy, so, not so experienced in crawdads and shrimp. Thanks
    It will be live if you are doing crawfish!

Comment

A lot to type if you have no experience. It's not that hard but one of those things that gets easier with practice. If it's 20 serious eaters, you will need at least a couple of sacks.....maybe 3

Comment

or 4

Comment

You should google crawfish boil videos. There’s tons out there. As far as how much, not every one eats crawfish. If you have 20 people I would venture to figure 2 pounds per head. If only 10 eat crawfish that’s 4 pounds a piece @40 lbs. Shrimp, I’ve had more shrimp boils than I care to count. All men, 2 lbs per head. Men and women, 1 lb per head.

For the boil:
          Go by weight on your seasoning instructions. Fill your pot half way leaving room for crawfish ,corn and taters, and shrimp.
          Add several cut lemons and onions to your solution and let it lightly boil for about 30 minutes. Now add about a 1/2 gallon of ketchup to you boil. Add your potato’s and turn the fire up and cook about 10 minutes. Add your crawfish now and when it comes back to boil cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Now add your shrimp and cook ONLY till pink ( about 3 minutes). When the shrimp are good and pink immediately turn the fire off and put as much frozen corn in the pot as it will hold. This will cool your pot down and stop the cooking process. Let soak for about 30 minutes so the food absorbs the spices. Pull the basket and pour contents on a paper covered table or an ice chest. Enjoy and good luck sir.

I might add that these weights will be challenged I know. But I do know a little bit about it. Crawfish and shrimp are expensive so you really don’t want waist. Corn and taters are filling and that counts into the equation. Case in point I dedicated 200 lbs of crawfish for our TBH get together last weekend. About 50 or 60 people showed. Only 110 lbs were consumed. A lot of out door boils get over estimated on weight.
          Last edited by Gumbo Man; 05-19-2022, 07:08 PM.

Comment

If you don't want to run the risk of messing up crawfish, and don't mind the drive, head over to Lewisville to Bayou market and you can get cooked crawfish and shrimp by the pound.

Comment

Cajun boil restaurant in weatherford, boils dang good seafood. Show up with a cooler and claim them as your own.

Comment

Gain a few tips on youtube watching Meat Church and his efforts.

There's many more than one way to skin a cat.

Comment

Thanks for all the input, folks....especially Gumbo Man! Sounds great. Will report on success.

Comment

If it was me, 20 people, I'd do 2 sacks of crawfish, 10 lbs of shrimp, potatoes, corn, sausage, baby carrots, onions, garlic cloves, and some mushrooms for the boil.
                    Definitely let it soak for 20-30 min.
                    It really soaks up the flavor.

Comment

Message Cajun Blake on here. He sells the seasonings and will be able to tell you exactly what to do. And he’s a La boy so it will be on point!

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        Now add about a 1/2 gallon of ketchup to you boil.
                        Being from south Louisiana I've consumed a lot of crawfish. I've had it cooked by at least a hundred different people. NEVER have I heard of adding ketchup.

I'm so curious about it, I may have to drive over there to try it.

However, I must be honest. My in-laws eat ketchup on everything (from eggs to gumbo to bacon wrapped deer backstrap). They have ruined ketchup for me.

Maybe one day you'll have an opportunity to make me a believer. I'll be sure to introduce myself to you if I come by. [emoji1787]

Comment

Download the crawfish app. That’s what it is called in iOS. It will find you the best deal even if you want to buy cooked. I’ve used a few times in DFW and has been awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ketchup? Wait-What?

Comment

There are still things to learn young grass hoppers.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X