Montana 322-20 Antelope Tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Montana 322-20 Antelope Tag

I was lucky enough to draw an antelope tag in Unit 322-20 in Montana! I had three points and didn’t expect to get picked, so this was a surprise. I have never hunted antelope, and I’ve never hunted in Montana, so I have a lot to learn!

What pointers and advice does the green screen have for me? Hunt dates are 10/8/22 through 11/13/22, but I’ll only be able to the first week. Location is in the southwest part of the state, not far from Yellowstone.

The tag is for either sex, and it’s a rifle hunt. I’m planning on using a 6.5 Grendel, and I’m holding myself to a 400 yard max shot.

Feel free to pass along any tips or tricks you may have, and thanks in advance!

In for advice as well. I am hunting archery tag in NW Nebraska at the end of August. Literally 20 miles from the Wyoming/SouthDakota state lines. I've never been either

Comment

I didn’t get drawn…lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

bump to see if anyone else can share experience

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
          bump to see if anyone else can share experience
          I hunted Wyoming several times, successful all but once. (We were archery hunting water holes and it rained most of the time, the goats didn’t come to water and the terrain wasn’t conducive to stalking.)

Rifle hunting is fairly easy unless they’ve been pressured and then it can be tough. They can read the caliber on your rifle at a quarter mile ! You may be doing some crawling so good gloves and knee pads are recommended, (in Wyo there is some kind of ground cactus that will eat your lunch)

If water hole hunting with a bow be prepared to hunt from dark ‘til dark, take water, lunch, etc. It is lots of fun and to me they eat as good as axis deer, just make sure you get them field dressed and on ice quickly. When you skin them, the skin tends to want to curl up to the inside, getting hair on the meat. Unlike deer hair, when it dries a little the hair will brush right off. They are usually not a tough animal to kill, but sometimes can be. Most of mine have folded in 50/60 yards but my buddy shot one perfectly with an NAP Spitfire that ran 300+. Easy to find on the prairie though. If it’s not cold watch for prairie rattlers, especially when crawling.

Have fun !

Comment

I was able to get in touch with two past winners of the same tag, and those dudes hooked me up with some knowledge! Biggest takeaway for me was the weather in Montana in October is not what I’m used to for October! I’m good on gear, minus some knee and elbow pads, just need to make sure I have a truly wind proof outer layer.

If anyone has some tips, please pass em along! If this thread goes dead for awhile, I’ll make sure to update it after my hunt.

Oh, by the way, I only had 3 bonus points, so this hunt isn’t like a Montana 620 sheep tag, it is possible.

Comment

This is some primo hunting! I didn’t see another human being all day!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Best of luck. I hunted Wyoming a few years ago and it was a hunt to remember.

Comment

Good luck !

Comment

Keep us posted

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck. Pronghorn are one of my favorite animals to hunt. They may have started migration. If so it's tough to keep up with them. Better to move ahead and ambush.

Watch the weather. Several times we've had to pack up quick to avoid being stranded.
                              If you plan on caping out, be very gentle. That hollow hair will come out in a heartbeat. You cannot drag or rope up the head.

Comment

Working...
                              X