REVIEW: Paint for a Plywood Blind - Sherwin Williams Duration Acrylic Latex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always been an oil-base guy and paint most everything I build whether it be out of steel or wood with a few thick coats of Rustoleum of XO-Rust. In my build documented here "Mega-Stout Box Blind" I did similar and thought it would be good. A few years in the desert sun and wind showed me that was not the case and I was left with a plywood stand full of cracks and exposed wood.

Contacted a family friend who owns his own house painting company and was told to get Sherwin Williams Duration Acrylic Latex.

Brought the blind home and used an angle grinder with a wire wheel to remove all loose paint and to dig into the wood a bit. Then proceeded to roll and brush on three "thick as I could get them" coats of this paint. Let those dry/cure for a week and then just shot some krylon camo over it for looks. The stand has been out for 14 months now and we just moved it from one lease to the other. I can't explain how happy I am with how well the paint has held up. It literally looks as solid as the day I coated it. I could not find one crack or chip. Like the whole thing was dipped in hot plastic and laminated. Very pleased and will definitely use this paint if I ever do another wooden blind.

Just though this review might be helpful to those with a similar issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like that 3D laying on your back looking up at the box camo!

Good to hear the paint is holding up, have to mark that down.

Comment

Glad it is holding up well. Duration is a pretty interesting product that has been out for a little while. Think the first house I painted with it was around 2004/2005. One word of caution though..if you put it on too thick, it basically never cures fully and creates a poor bond to the wood/metal or whatever it is going on. It is really a coating, not a paint.
        I use Superpaint instead vs Duration for deer stands and most anything else simply for the cost savings. I don't paint to put food on the table anymore, but I never had a warranty claim with Superpaint either.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Talk about perfect timing ! I am about to start painting 2 of my blinds before the season starts. i was wondering what kind of paint to use. Good info here.

Comment

Originally posted by jfk47 View Post
              Talk about perfect timing ! I am about to start painting 2 of my blinds before the season starts. i was wondering what kind of paint to use. Good info here.
              Same here! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                Glad it is holding up well. Duration is a pretty interesting product that has been out for a little while. Think the first house I painted with it was around 2004/2005. One word of caution though..if you put it on too thick, it basically never cures fully and creates a poor bond to the wood/metal or whatever it is going on. It is really a coating, not a paint.
                I use Superpaint instead vs Duration for deer stands and most anything else simply for the cost savings. I don't paint to put food on the table anymore, but I never had a warranty claim with Superpaint either.

Interesting article on Superpaint vs. Duration comparison.

If you're getting ready to complete an exterior painting project in the near future, you're likely looking at paint options. Sherwin Williams is a popular choice and offers a wide selection of products, including Duration and SuperPaint. Below, we'll take a look at the two and outline a few reasons to consider one or the

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                  Interesting article on Superpaint vs. Duration comparison.

If you're getting ready to complete an exterior painting project in the near future, you're likely looking at paint options. Sherwin Williams is a popular choice and offers a wide selection of products, including Duration and SuperPaint. Below, we'll take a look at the two and outline a few reasons to consider one or the

Interesting article for sure. I wasn't aware that Duration was marketed for no primer, but they may have upgraded it since I was using it. They did verify that it is a coating, not a paint as well.

Either way, can't go wrong with either.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post

Either way, can't go wrong with either.

After hearing your first hand experience and then the article, I completely agree.

Thank you.

Comment

How much is a gallon?

Comment

Originally posted by jbhlsu View Post
                        How much is a gallon?
                        Think I paid right at $80/gallon year and half ago.

Comment

Still not one crack…. 2 years since I painted it.
                          Amazing outdoor paint.

Comment

Looks like a good solid blind.

Comment

Working...
                            X