No announcement yet.

Mobile hunting and packing/quartering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For whitetails I quarter them where they lay and carry them out in a kifaru. If the extra height of the frame gets in your way, consider getting a shorter frame. You don't need all that load lifting range when you are only carrying 100lbs for a mile or two on mostly flat ground.

I don't find any kind of a ground sheet/tarp to be necessary. I'm holding the quarter in my hand as i cut the last connection and then it immediately goes into a game bag. I have gotten so used to quartering deer on the ground that i now prefer it over hanging them.

Comment

I'm going with a pack frame, tarp and 7 gallon bucket this year. I'm getting too old and lazy to use a cart these days. I feel like 4 quarters and the backstrap will fit in a 7 gallon bucket.

Comment

I have read about people using the condor tactical H harness and belt and attaching it to the bottom of a stand platform. I recently bought a Hawk combat hang on stand and the traps that come with it are kind of joke for anything further than 100yds. This will be my first year hunting public and hiking stuff in so just curious what else people have used that hasn't broken the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by thecgspalding View Post
          I have read about people using the condor tactical H harness and belt and attaching it to the bottom of a stand platform. I recently bought a Hawk combat hang on stand and the traps that come with it are kind of joke for anything further than 100yds. This will be my first year hunting public and hiking stuff in so just curious what else people have used that hasn't broken the bank.
          I guess everyones definition of breaking the bank is different, but you can buy quality belts and shoulder harnesses from kuiu or kifaru for pretty reasonable. Around $150 all in.

How often and how far you carry it will determine if that cost is justified.

The PRO Suspension is built for comfort, adjustability, and durability while maintaining an ultralight weight. The hip belt features an ergonomic fit and is profile adjustable to match your shape—simply tighten or loosen the lower side straps and adjust the lumbar height for optimal feel and even weight distribution. T

Comment

Comment

I can vouch for the condor belt and harness setup. think it was like $40 to get both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

hawk crawler 4 wheel cart is a game changer!

Comment

I have a deer drag that goes over my back and around my waist with a tow hook in the small of you’re back. I haven’t had to quarter one yet, but am always ready in case too far or too big. Def good info here.

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbow View Post
                    hawk crawler 4 wheel cart is a game changer!
                    For me, that’s the answer ^^^. I’ll walk black out reguardless the distance and get a crawler cart go back in… and back out quicker than you most could quarter and try and pack out ( in the terrain I hunt anyway). Those old school cart/wrist breakers aren’t much better option than just dragging it. Lol

Oh…. And NEVER haul the cart in with ya…. Bad Luck!

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy0IooPg_Sg"]Hawk Crawler Review - YouTube[/ame]

As stated above. The Hawk Crawler is a game changer.

Comment

If I’m less than a mile from the boat, a cart isn’t bad but if it’s through a ragweed field, or climbing out of a creek bottom where I’ve had to use a rope to rappel or get through cottonwood saplings, a cart is absolute hell.

Add in crossing creek bottoms that require waders along with hills with cedars, etc. and I’m quartering from here on out!

This guy sucked and it was right at a mile back to the boat. Hills and creek bottom mud suck for wheels!

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                          If I’m less than a mile from the boat, a cart isn’t bad but if it’s through a ragweed field, or climbing out of a creek bottom where I’ve had to use a rope to rappel or get through cottonwood saplings, a cart is absolute hell.

Add in crossing creek bottoms that require waders along with hills with cedars, etc. and I’m quartering from here on out!

This guy sucked and it was right at a mile back to the boat. Hills and creek bottom mud suck for wheels!

I know I'm weird, but everything you described sounds like a blast to me.

Nice buck!

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            I know I'm weird, but everything you described sounds like a blast to me.

Nice buck!

It’s definitely type 2 fun. Sucks during, but fun after [emoji23]

Comment

I’d rather hunt from a boat than anything. Load em once and unload when you get to the skinning rack
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post

**** that looks like something straight out of a Hunting Public episode. Very cool

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X