Final Table Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sotx View Post
    By God a lot has changed in my thinking and technique after 14 years ago when I posted this recipe.
    1. at 165 internal I begin to take a good hard look at my bark. If I am happy with it Ill wrap in butcher paper then run it up to 195 and then begin probing for tenderness. May pull it then or maybe a 203. But pull it when it feels right.
    2. I really like post oak for my fire. Better than live oak.
    3. All I ever use any more is kosher salt and black pepper.
    Interesting.... I read the original post and a bunch of the reviews and had myself convinced I needed to try the rub and pull it off earlier than I normally do.

Then I read your updated method here.... which is exactly what I do.

Comment

Sounds good! Gonna give this a try!

Comment

By God a lot has changed in my thinking and technique after 14 years ago when I posted this recipe.
        1. at 165 internal I begin to take a good hard look at my bark. If I am happy with it Ill wrap in butcher paper then run it up to 195 and then begin probing for tenderness. May pull it then or maybe a 203. But pull it when it feels right.
        That’s how I do mine.

Comment

That's funny!

Comment

I do mine the same. Was concerned that 185 IT wouldn’t be enough.
            Glad I scrolled to the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Excellent recipe!!!!
              I took out the basil and the thyme......just personal preference

Comment

I knew it love this thread

Comment

This made me laugh!

I tried the original post a few times and they came out great! But if I'm trying to get one on in a hurry I use salt, pepper, and a little garlic and they don't suck! I think the key is low and slow, not too much smoke, and probe for tenderness starting at about 185/190, most of mine feel right at about 200. I have started cooking fat down (Green Egg) and skip the foil wrap (like suggested in OP), I may try the butcher paper wrap if I can find it easily. I do rest them in a foil lined Styrofoam cooler. I plan to throw one on at about 5:30 tomorrow morning, original recipe if I can get it together tonight, otherwise S P & G in the morning! Roll some smoke gents (and ladies)!

Comment

I need some brisket!

Comment

Got this recipe rolling on a 14 pounder. Put it on at 3:30 this morning. I’m running two probes. One that plugs into the traegar and another off set. They are reading about 30 degree difference!!! Hoping they level out some sick I just put it on. It’s a little concerning

Comment

tagged

Comment

Great rub. Will try it in near future

Comment

Alright, it's gonna be brisket this year instead of turkey !
                            Watching the weather... cooking in the rain is not quite as enjoyable.
                            Might have to finish in the oven... aaargh... TBD.
                            Thanks for the rub recipe and subsequent discussion, y'all are the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Box-R View Post
                              Alright, it's gonna be brisket this year instead of turkey !
                              Watching the weather... cooking in the rain is not quite as enjoyable.
                              Might have to finish in the oven... aaargh... TBD.
                              Thanks for the rub recipe and subsequent discussion, y'all are the best.
                              Just run in smoker til 160°, then wrap in pink butcher paper and finish in the oven. Rain problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by 68rustbucket View Post
                                Just run in smoker til 160°, then wrap in pink butcher paper and finish in the oven. Rain problem solved.
                                ^^^^^
                                Rain or not. That's the standard here. Get it in the 160's, wrap, oven at 250* til meat is right.

Comment

Working...
                                X