Dream Buck Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dream Buck Down!

For as long as I can remember, my dream has been to own & live on a piece of ground and be able to walk out the door, head to the back pasture and hunt. About a year ago, we were making plans to build a shop with a small living area on a place we had with plans to live in it for a while until we decided on exactly what we wanted to build a couple years down the road, but to say God had other plans in store for us would be an understatement of a lifetime. We sold our home (that wasn't on the market) and got an opportunity put before us the very next day, that literally felt like it came out of thin air, to buy our dream piece of ground we'd be talking about for almost 2 years. Once all the dust settled, we were finally able to move into our new place this past April and start making memories to last a lifetime.
    Fast forward to this fall and I was way behind in getting prepped and ready for this season. We began remodeling our house, putting up new fence around the yard and several other projects around the place this summer so my schedule was crammed. I was able to finally get some cams out and a couple feeders, and just after season opened, I began getting pictures of a sure enough good buck. Problem was, he was coming in just before and right after shooting light.

I put a few cams out in a few other places around to try and see what else was roaming the place and low & behold, I started getting daylight pics on a food plot at all hours of the day of this buck and helped me hone in on where he was living.

I was able to break away from work a little early one afternoon so I flew home and went straight to the woods, still in my work clothes, and hung a stand at 5:15. Soon as I got it set, I drove back to the house to change clothes, eat, and grab my bow, then flew back over to crawl back up into the stand at 5:45. Almost immediately after after sneaking into my cedar tree, a doe fed out onto the field. About 6:50, a group of 5 does slowly worked there way out of the brush and onto the field directly below me. As everyone of them single filed their way in, I kept hoping the next in line would be the buck I was after, but it didn’t happen. The does fed out in front of me for a while continuously looking towards their back trail, but I couldn’t see or hear anything other then some pigs fighting off in the distance. With only a few minutes before last shooting light, the shuffling of leaves started heading my way so I got my bow readied to smoke a pig. As the sound got closer finally breaking through the thick brush, I realized that this wasn’t a pig, but the buck I was after! Without hesitation, my body went into auto pilot and I drew back and was settling my pins into the sweet spot with the buck feeding only 13 yards below me. In an instant, the arrow was on its way and all I knew was it had hit the buck, but had no idea where because of the fading light. The buck whirled around and took off in the direction he came and I listened intently to here a crash, but only heard the sound of crashing leaves getting drowned out by pigs squealing and fighting.
    I waited for complete darkness to sneak out and head to the house to get my tracking team. After giving the buck an hour, we headed back out and thankfully, the dog and kiddo made quick work of a short 40 yard track!

I can't express how lucky and blessed I felt when I released my arrow, then again when I put my hands on this buck for the first time. In that instant, my dreams came full circle, literally becoming a reality and a moment I won't soon forget. Best of all, I was surrounded by my family as we tracked and found him in such a short distance. Truly blessed beyond words and living in a dream. This buck may not be my biggest, but he is ABSOLUTELY my Dream Deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incredible Buck and great story, congrats to you!

Comment

Nice buck.

Comment

Da*******m...great buck! Congrats bud, he's a dandy.

Comment

Mega!

Comment

That is pure awesomness all the way round.
            Congrats on the whole write up!

Comment

Heck of a buck, congrats!

Comment

Wow. Great buck!

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

That’s awesome bud congratulations! Nothing like owning your own piece of land. How many acres are you on? I have a small piece of land in Oklahoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Good stuff right there!!!!
                          Big congrats on one heck of a buck. I like that frame on him.

Comment

Love the double throat patch. Great buck and story! Congratulations

Comment

Wow.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X