No announcement yet.

Texas Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know how the odds work, particularly the applicants?

Lets say there are 1,000 applicants in last years hunt.

Is that 1,000 individual applicants plus everyone's preference points, which could be 10,000 names in the hat?

Or is it more like 300 individual applicants plus all their preference points which add up to a total of 1,000 applicants in the hat to draw from?

Comment

When are we going to give preference to residents and limit non residents on these?

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
        Does anyone know how the odds work, particularly the applicants?

Lets say there are 1,000 applicants in last years hunt.

Is that 1,000 individual applicants plus everyone's preference points, which could be 10,000 names in the hat?

Or is it more like 300 individual applicants plus all their preference points which add up to a total of 1,000 applicants in the hat to draw from?

It is 1000 applicants not counting preference points. With the cubed system if the average number of years is 5 years that is 5x5x5= 125 x 1000= 125000 names in the hat. So the odds are very slim without a bunch of points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
          It is 1000 applicants not counting preference points. With the cubed system if the average number of years is 5 years that is 5x5x5= 125 x 1000= 125000 names in the hat. So the odds are very slim without a bunch of points.

No wonder in have 8,9 10, 11 points in all categories. Even with those points the odds of drawing are slim if my math is right.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
            No wonder in have 8,9 10, 11 points in all categories. Even with those points the odds of drawing are slim if my math is right.
            Yet first timers will draw 2 or 3 hunts every year lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
              When are we going to give preference to residents and limit non residents on these?
              Thats a pipe dream. How about even having a non residence application fee too?

Comment

It works. I dropped 75 bucks today. Will do more next payday. Six or seven years of no draws for me.

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
                  It works. I dropped 75 bucks today. Will do more next payday. Six or seven years of no draws for me.
                  If they ever fix the system some of yall are gonna get a surprise and draw like 10 hunts.

Comment

I applied for almost any Archery hunt available. All I can do now is wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                      Juat saw where they doubled the number of hunters per hunt for LRGV Schaleben. I did that last year and we had 4 guys on our hunt(8 were drawn but 4 showed up) which felt about right considering 90% of the place was so thick it was unhuntable. 16 people per hunt would be an absolute joke imo. There wouldnt even be room for that many people to park.

Archery is showing 48 permits for 6 hunt dates, so 8 peeps per hunt, yeah? What's the acreage on that place?

Comment

Anyone else notice the number of applicants last year for Powderhorn?? Over 10k! But, I will apply anyway. You can't get drawn if you don't apply.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                          Anyone else notice the number of applicants last year for Powderhorn?? Over 10k! But, I will apply anyway. You can't get drawn if you don't apply.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
                          lol that place is a cash cow for TPWD.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                            I have a message with the the PHWMA asking about the numbers of Sambar. Will be a deciding factor if I put in for the GDE. Been wanting to get back to Chap and have 17 or so points

You get to hunt the same exotic critters with the GDE draw and have about same odds. Out hunt last year was great but there are not monster WT out there but sure have some old ones. I would do it again, but if wanting a trophy buck, better stick with anywhere else.

Comment

For Powderhorn, I wouldn't be going for the WT, it would be for the Sambar. But if they do more trapping this summer, I may not apply there due to the reduction in Sambar numbers...which is their goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                                For Powderhorn, I wouldn't be going for the WT, it would be for the Sambar. But if they do more trapping this summer, I may not apply there due to the reduction in Sambar numbers...which is their goal.

2nd the sentiments of Huntindad.
                                I do not apply anymore after having experienced it luckily.

Comment

Working...
                                X