Satellite Internet for Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satellite Internet for Ranch

Has anyone used any of the satellite internet providers at your lease or ranch? We do a lot of work from the house and were wanting to upgrade our service. I have seen Viasat and Starlink but wanted to see if anyone is using any of these providers. We have a hot spot but it’s just very limited in what it can do. We want to connect a weather station and not be able to limit the number of devices we have on our WiFi. Let me know if any of y’all have any experience in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
    Has anyone used any of the satellite internet providers at your lease or ranch? We do a lot of work from the house and were wanting to upgrade our service. I have seen Viasat and Starlink but wanted to see if anyone is using any of these providers. We have a hot spot but it’s just very limited in what it can do. We want to connect a weather station and not be able to limit the number of devices we have on our WiFi. Let me know if any of y’all have any experience in this.

Viasat & Starlink are different animals.
    I would never even consider Viasat, Wild Blue, Hughes, etc...
    Starlink, if available would be my choice.

Comment

We have satellite internet and it is basic at best.

Comment

We had Hughes Net for several years. It got the job done with no frills….

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
          Viasat & Starlink are different animals.
          I would never even consider Viasat, Wild Blue, Hughes, etc...
          Starlink, if available would be my choice.
          Can you please explain how they are different? We just want something reliable where we can get WiFi in the barn and house and have a number of people using it at once.

Comment

I have Viasat, because it my only option. One TV at a time, 720 resolution. Sending picture messages works but takes forever.

Comment

Can you please explain how they are different? We just want something reliable where we can get WiFi in the barn and house and have a number of people using it at once.
              One works, the other doesn't.
              I uninstall satellite (not SL) customers on a daily basis.
              Personally I've never used it, I've also never heard anything good about it.
              It is a money pitt, for something that is mediocre at best.
              Contract required, high ping time, unlimited in some cases but may involve throttling.
              SL is satellite, but generally we just call it SL and not satellite internet.
              Currently it works great for those that have it, and it is beta at the moment.
              No contract, good ping time, and unlimited.
              Contact requirements, and unlimited data are subject to change once they leave beta.
              In a nutshell.

Comment

I work for an internet company and I’m the first to tell you satellite internet is going to be terrible. Of those I’d try Starlink but again it’s gonna be hit and miss. It’s low orbit satellites are supposed to be better than the others. It’s all has to do with high latency unfortunately.

Comment

Check out T-Mobiles coverage out there. If they have good 4G coverage, look at a moxee device. I bought one to use in my camper because I'm a permanent remote employee so thought I'd work more from my trailer in Lampasas and get a few afternoon hunts in since I'd be close to the lease. Didn't work out because at that RV park nothing works.

Here's the speeds I got from it when testing it out.

In Austin, I get over 20Mbps down and around 20Mbps up.

In San Saba in the deer stand, I get 8-16Mbps down and 7-12 up.

In Lampasas at Boone RV park it's slow. Could watch Netflix off it at night but couldn't stream the UT game on fubo. Can't work from it. Same for my AT&T 5g phone though. That's why I tried it the person working at the rv park said tmobiles service was best but still sucked.

Comment

Sattellite internet and line of sight sucks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                      Check out T-Mobiles coverage out there. If they have good 4G coverage, look at a moxee device. I bought one to use in my camper because I'm a permanent remote employee so thought I'd work more from my trailer in Lampasas and get a few afternoon hunts in since I'd be close to the lease. Didn't work out because at that RV park nothing works.

Here's the speeds I got from it when testing it out.

In Austin, I get over 20Mbps down and around 20Mbps up.

In San Saba in the deer stand, I get 8-16Mbps down and 7-12 up.

In Lampasas at Boone RV park it's slow. Could watch Netflix off it at night but couldn't stream the UT game on fubo. Can't work from it. Same for my AT&T 5g phone though. That's why I tried it the person working at the rv park said tmobiles service was best but still sucked.

This! We switched to T-Mobile at home, it’s fast, unlimited data & about $60/ month.

Comment

hughes net is terrible at my dads place near stonewall....
                        thinking of biting bullet and getting him att unlimited so he can at least tether 40gigs a month of good tv

Comment

Hmmm…. now I’m not sure what we should do. There’s not much info online about what to do or use for WiFi in rural areas other than Viasat, Starlink, etc which is why I brought them up. The only carrier that works consistently out there is AT&T but it’s 1 to 2 bars in the house (metal roof) but other parts of the ranch have 4 bars.

Comment

Hmmm…. now I’m not sure what we should do. There’s not much info online about what to do or use for WiFi in rural areas other than Viasat, Starlink, etc which is why I brought them up. The only carrier that works consistently out there is AT&T but it’s 1 to 2 bars in the house (metal roof) but other parts of the ranch have 4 bars.
                            In this situation weBoost is an option to boost your server signal.

Comment

from my understanding weboost will help mainly with voice. data is another thing. There's a facebook group for using a phone sim, but it's beyond my knowledge and i'm not confident (equipment selection and settings) in it enough to make the jump.

Comment

Working...
                              X